Thursday, June 23, 2011

Why I Think the Rapture will be “Soon”

“Soon” of course is a relative term with a lot of leeway. I have to be honest and say that I am looking for the rapture in my lifetime based on the “signs of the times.” Argument could be made that some of these “signs” have existed for centuries, but certainly not with the increasing occurrences and intensity in evidence today.

I was having a discussion with a dear friend recently and she made a statement something to the effect of that she didn’t understand why I thought the rapture would be any time soon since things are no worse than they have always been. Immediately, that makes me think of the verse from 1Peter.

2 Peter 3:4 “And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation.”


My friend is a believer, not a scoffer. She just truly didn’t understand why I think the rapture is so near. From a historical perspective (and we both like historical Christian fiction) society is certainly no more decadent than it was in many past cultures. I think you have to discount the cultures, however, that existed before the spread of Christianity. Growing up in the “Christian” nation of America, I have witnessed the moral corruption of my homeland in a relatively short time. Compared to other decadent societies throughout history, I think it becomes a significant “sign of the times” when predominantly “Christian” cultures are turning pagan at an ever increasing rate. Moral decadence, however, is not the only “sign of the times.”

Obviously, the most significant “sign of the times” is the rebirth of the nation of Israel. Since that time in May 1948, the alignment of the nations is occurring as predicted in the scriptures in preparation for the events marking the end of the age before Christ returns as King of kings. Russia has partnered itself with Iran as well as other nations identified in the coalition of Gog talked about in Ezekiel 38. The nations surrounding Israel are intent upon defeating her and establishing a Palestinian state in her stead. The unrest in Syria reminds me that the Bible predicts the complete destruction of Damascus, the oldest inhabited city in the world, at some point. Most importantly, just as the LORD God predicted in His word, the city of Jerusalem in the tiny nation of Israel has become a cup of trembling and a burdensome stone to all the nations of the world.

Zechariah 12:1–3 “The burden of the word of the LORD for Israel, saith the LORD, which stretcheth forth the heavens, and layeth the foundation of the earth, and formeth the spirit of man within him. Behold, I will make Jerusalem a cup of trembling unto all the people round about, when they shall be in the siege both against Judah and against Jerusalem. And in that day will I make Jerusalem a burdensome stone for all people: all that burden themselves with it shall be cut in pieces, though all the people of the earth be gathered together against it.”

Wars and rumors of wars are constant. Famines, pestilences, diseases and earthquakes are continuing to increase as predicted—more and more with greater intensity in comparison to birth pains as predicted by the Lord Jesus.

Matthew 24:6–8 “And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet. For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places. All these are the beginning of sorrows.”
“sorrows” = a pang or throe, especially of childbirth

Some of the most troubling and significant “signs” to me are not focused on so often. I just don’t see how the LORD can tarry much longer considering the amazing advances being made in science and technology in the fields of transhumanism and the manipulation of DNA and genetic modifications. God’s plan is to bring forth a refined remnant of the nation of Israel and establish Himself as King in Jerusalem over the whole earth.

Zechariah 13:1–2 & 9 “In that day there shall be a fountain opened to the house of David and to the inhabitants of Jerusalem for sin and for uncleanness. And it shall come to pass in that day, saith the LORD of hosts, that I will cut off the names of the idols out of the land, and they shall no more be remembered: and also I will cause the prophets and the unclean spirit to pass out of the land….And I will bring the third part through the fire, and will refine them as silver is refined, and will try them as gold is tried: they shall call on my name, and I will hear them: I will say, It is my people: and they shall say, The LORD is my God.”

Revelation 19:15–16 “And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God. And he hath on his vesture and on his thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS.”


The advances in science and technology are occurring at such a rapid pace, I just don’t see how the Lord can tarry much longer. It would seem that the humanity of the human race is once again in danger of corruption just as it was before the flood of Noah, and I know the LORD will intervene much sooner this time in light of His plans for His earthly kingdom.

Even so, Come Lord Jesus!!!!!!!

No comments: