Thursday, July 1, 2010

Sharing God's Truth with Loved Ones

A few times in the last several years I have felt the need to write letters encouraging friends and family to examine themselves with regard to the truth declared in scripture or just think about the times in which we live in light of scripture. These letters haven’t always been appreciated, but they have been sent from a heart of love and concern. I’ve been thinking it is time for another letter considering the accelerated pace at which I believe events are coming together according to bible prophecy.

I thought it might be helpful and/or encouraging to somebody else to read the letters I have sent to my family. As I read back over them, I would have made some revisions; but I am going to let you see them as originally written and sent. The first letter was sent in November 2000.

Dear Family,

I just want to take an opportunity to tell you all how much I love you. Since I am so far away from you, I don't get the opportunity to do the kinds of little things that can show you that love.

My biggest concern is knowing that I'll get to spend eternity with each and everyone of you. I decided that if I wrote a letter to the whole family, no one would feel that I am making a judgment on an individual person, even though I can't help but have my own thoughts about where some of you may be spiritually. I can't help but have these thoughts because of all the Scriptures that paint a picture of a person that loves the Lord.

I'm certainly not talking about perfection in life or even consistency. I fail in both areas. The key seems to be in our attitude toward His Word and striving to be a reflection of Jesus so that others may see Him at work in our lives.

Can you imagine being in love with someone and never showing them that you love them? Better yet, can you imagine believing someone loved you who often told you they loved you, but never showed you?

All I am asking you to do is to examine yourself according to the Scripture. 2 Corinthians 13:5 says - "Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves. Do you not realize that Christ Jesus is in you--unless, of course, you fail the test." NIV (By the way, all of the scriptures I use will come from the New International Version--just because I think it puts the thought in language that is more easily understood.)

Do you read the Word of God? Do you desire to understand the Word?
Do you consider what God would have you do when it comes time to make decisions in life? Do you talk to God in prayer? Do your prayers include the welfare of others, or are they just centered on your own needs? Do you ever take time to praise God for being God and thinking about what that means? (I love to read Job 38-41 and Isaiah 40-46 to help me focus on who God is.) Do the people you spend time with at work and/or fellowship know that you believe in Jesus? Would you be comfortable to have Jesus sitting on your sofa during your TV time? Do you give back to the Lord part of what He has given you? Do you think about laying up treasures in heaven more than about earning treasures on this earth? Do you think about eternity with excitement and expectation? Are you looking for His return?

I've printed out some verses to help you as you look inward.

I Peter 2:2 says - "Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation."

James 1:22 - "Do not merely listen to the Word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says."

James 2: 14-17 - "What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him? Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to him, 'Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed,' but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.

Galatians 5:19-22 - "The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God. But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control."

Matthew 7:17-21 - "Every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them. Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven."

Matthew 7:24 - "Therefore, everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock.

Matthew 6:19-21 - "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."

I Thessalonians 5:17-22 - "Pray continually."

Matthew 6:44 - "Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you."

John 15:5 - "And WHEN you pray….." (Not if. Then He goes on to tell us how not to pray and how to pray. Our prayer should be filled with worship, petitions and intercessions. We never forget the petitions; we often include intercessions; but how often do we worship and adore?)

Romans 12:9-13 - "Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves. Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. Share with God's people who are in need. Practice hospitality."


Well, if you have made it this far, hopefully you are hearing my heart. I want you to know that I continually examine myself in light of the Word and continually find areas of sin and need in my life. But I am striving to become more like Him and I do love His Word and I do look forward to His return.

We all go thru stages of growth in our lives. As I look back over my life, I am amazed at how patient God has been with me in light of all the truth He has allowed me to be privileged to know. I can remember times when I was very focused on pleasing Him and other times when I was more or less going thru the motions and doing what I thought was expected of me. There are many areas in which I wish I could go back and do things differently. The key thing I have learned is that God has been totally consistent in spite of my inconsistencies. He has never let me just continue in sin without being convicted. The Spirit has been very quick to point out the areas that need changed; I'm just sometimes quite slow in responding--but He never gives up on me. His grace and mercy have always been there. He's always willing to let me make a fresh start; His love for me never changes.

I truly believe that the signs of the times show that Jesus is coming soon for His own. I just don't want any of my loved ones left behind. My prayers are with you often.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like the idea! It's a good letter whether it's family or not, and so true. Your thoughts are expressing mine in every way.