The most recent letter to date was sent in August 2007.
Dear Family & Friends,
You are receiving this letter because you have a special place in our heart. We wanted to share with you some truths from the Bible with which you might not be familiar.
Did you know that……….
• The prophet Isaiah recorded the truth that the earth is round hundreds of years before that fact was established? Isaiah 40:22 It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth….
• The prophet Jeremiah predicted that Israel would be held captive in Babylon for 70 years? (And history records that it was.) Jeremiah 25:11-12 And this whole land shall be a desolation, and an astonishment; and these nations shall serve the king of Babylon seventy years. And it shall come to pass, when seventy years are accomplished, that I will punish the king of Babylon, and that nation, saith the LORD, for their iniquity, and the land of the Chaldeans, and will make it perpetual desolations.
• The angel Gabriel told Daniel the exact number of years after the Jews were sent home to rebuild Jerusalem that Jesus the Messiah would be crucified? (It was 69 weeks of years or 483 years, and history again affirms that truth.)
• The prophet Ezekiel foretold that Israel would die as a nation and then be reborn again? He was given a vision of Israel as a valley full of old dry bones that came together and formed skeletons that were then covered with muscles, tendons and flesh and finally given the breath of life to live again (Ezekiel 37). In 70 AD the Romans invaded and destroyed Jerusalem and the temple and dispersed the Jewish people all across the earth. Israel disappeared as a nation at that time, but once again became a nation on May 14, 1948 (almost 2000 years later).
• The prophet Ezekiel foretold an alliance of nations that has never existed in recorded history, but is forming today (Ezekiel 38)? It’s an interesting alliance between Russia, Iran, Turkey, Ethiopia (in reference to the area today known as black Africa, especially Sudan), and Libya (in probable reference to what is known today as Somalia). The thing that stands out to us is that this alliance headed by Russia is basically a Moslem coalition. This alliance will eventually attack Israel, but God will miraculously intervene to deliver Israel.
• The prophet Isaiah also predicts that Damascus, the oldest continuously inhabited city on earth, will one day be completely destroyed (chapter 17)? This seems to tie in with the above alliance of nations, since Russia is currently supplying Syria’s military and negotiating to establish naval bases in their territorial waters. This quote was taken from Ynet News.com: “For the first time since the fall of the Iron Curtain, Russia plans to re-operate the Tartus and Latakia ports in Syria as permanent bases for the Russian Navy in the Mediterranean basin, according to recent western media reports.”
There are many more evidences of the truth of God’s prophetic Word; these are just a thought-provoking few. The first three prophecies listed above have been fulfilled. The last two could happen any time in the future. God declared to Israel that prophecy is His unique way of affirming the truth of His sovereignty in the universe.
Isaiah 46:9-10 Remember the former things of old: for I am God, and there is none else; I am God, and there is none like me, Declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times the things that are not yet done, saying, My counsel shall stand, and I will do all my pleasure.
Isaiah 44:6-8 “This is what the LORD, Israel’s King and Redeemer, the LORD Almighty, says: I am the First and the Last; there is no other God. Who else can tell you what is going to happen in the days ahead? Let them tell you if they can and thus prove their power. Let them do as I have done since ancient times. Do not tremble; do not be afraid. Have I not proclaimed from ages past what my purposes are for you? You are my witnesses—is there any other God? No! There is no other Rock—not one!” (NLT)
There are many arguments for the existence of God, and prophecy is one of the most amazing because who can know the past and future with such accuracy other than the Creator. Statistics of probability only strengthen that proof when you consider the amazing number of fulfilled prophecies in scripture. For example, if you asked a crowd of 1000 people of all ages how many had a birthday on July 1, several people might stand who were born on July 1. Of those standing, you might then ask how many were born in Chicago. Many of those standing would probably sit down. Of those remaining, you ask how many like green as their favorite color. Three questions and you are down to a small number of people. This is a rough illustration of how statistical probability is developed.
Critical evaluations of the Bible (by foes and fans alike) have been done for a long time, and the amazing statistics of probability related to the prophecies in the Bible are a great validation of its truth. Are these prophecies that impressive? Dig in and take a look for yourself…we believe they are and more. There are over 300 prophecies in the Bible regarding the Messiah.
The heart with which we come to you is that we are not perfect or great examples of anything, but we are both convinced of the wonderful God who has done so much to declare His existence, His love and His interest in us as individuals that we just want you to know the message that He has given us in His Word--the Bible. The Old Testament prophecies are many, and most point to One who was coming to save the world. The Jews were expecting the Messiah, and He came in the form of a man called Jesus, God in the flesh. He lived a life like no other religious leader has ever or could ever live, and then gave His life so that all who believe could have eternal life.
God states in His Word that only by faith in Jesus Christ can one hope to enter His presence in heaven.
John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
You can’t earn your way to heaven; you have to accept it by faith.
Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.
Romans 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
Notice it says, “Lord” Jesus. In other words, you are accepting Him as the authority in your life. That acceptance is proved by how you live. The sad truth is that many that claim to be saved are not.
Matthew 7:21-23 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
They may be doing good works—even in the name of Jesus—but they aren’t living according to God’s will as recorded in His Word—the Bible. His Word is very clear that if we love Him, we will obey Him.
John 14:23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words.
The Apostle Paul urges us to “examine” ourselves.
2Corinthians 13:5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves.
We believe that time is short and that Jesus is coming again soon. What soon is—we don’t know. We do know that we want everyone that is dear to us to be with us in heaven. You are in our prayers often.