Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Studying Scripture

I am still seeking guidance as to what to address next in this blog. I have basically exhausted my current understanding of prophecy as based on my personal verse by verse study of the Bible to this point. It occurred to me that based on the last comments from my previous blog entry, it might be useful to some to hear how I go about my personal study of the Word. Sometimes we just need a bit of encouragement or a jumpstart from someone else to get started on our own. My study method has evolved over a period of time, and my resources have grown along the way.

I am blessed to have the use of Accordance Bible Software. This allows me to set up a tabbed workspace on my computer screen that eliminates the clutter of books and makes it easy to quickly bring up one of many reference tools. I chose at the outset to make the KJV my source text. It’s the one I have memorized throughout the years; and it makes me feel like I am working with an old friend. The tabs on my workspace are as follows:
• Main translation tab = KJV, NIV, NLT and CJB (Complete Jewish Bible)
• Backup translation tab = 5 or 6 other translations to consult on the harder verses
• 2 tabs for Strong’s Concordance, Hebrew & Greek
• 2 tabs for searching scripture—one for word/phrase searches, one for specific scriptures
• Webster’s Dictionary tab
• Bible dictionaries, Topical Bible tab
• Tabs for chosen commentaries

Accordance allows you to save each work session so that you can pick right up where you left off without having to set the tabs every study session.

I also often set up a browser window tabbed at www.studylight.org, www.blueletterbible.org, and a tab for internet research. These sights offer free access to many of the same tools I use in Accordance.

I usually start a chapter by reading through the four translations on the main study tab. I copy and paste the KJV onto a word document and space between verses or groups of verses as I read through that translation. Then I begin at the first comment section and look up the words in Strong’s and begin trying to put into my own words what I think is being said while continually praying for insight and application.

Though that has evolved into the basic set up, there are many more authors and teachers that have contributed to my biblical training over the last 57 years. Currently I attend Calvary Chapel Fort Lauderdale and have been blessed to enjoy the teaching of Pastor Bob Coy; the thing I love most about him is his bold, uncompromising stance for the truth of ALL of God’s word—even if it is not politically correct. My husband blessed me with an IPOD before I ever even knew what it was. It is now loaded with the whole of J. Vernon McGee’s “Thru the Bible” series, the whole of Jon Courson’s commentaries, downloads/podcasts of William Lane Craig, Bob DeWaay, Jimmy DeYoung, Arnold Fruchtenbaum, David Guzik, David Legge, John MacArthur, James Merritt, Chuck Missler, Adrian Rogers, Ray Stedman, Paul Van Noy, Ravi Zacharias, and the whole audio bible. These are all resources that can be accessed for free over the internet. We are not a wealthy family, and free resources have allowed me a much broader range of input than I could ever have hoped for otherwise. It is my privilege to make a small contribution to those free resources that might serve to encourage others in their study of the Word.

Since I am an avid reader, I couldn’t begin to list all the good books that have contributed to my knowledge base. Again, I’ve especially enjoyed the writings of many authors available for free on the internet that I am sure I would never even have heard of otherwise.

The hardest thing to come to grips with is the fact that even the most prominent and respected bible scholars do not agree with one another on the “truth” as declared in God’s word. “Truth” is a very narrow, exacting term; so you would think that the differences in interpretation would not be so great. So, I think I will close this blog entry with the same thought with which I closed the last. God is going to hold each one of us accountable as to how we respond to His truth. It is important that we use all diligence in pursuit of that truth. The more dependent we are upon others, the more likely we are to fall into deception. The most dependable teacher of all is the Holy Spirit.

If you haven’t already, I encourage you to begin your own verse by verse journey through God’s Word. Many blessings await you, and it will benefit you for eternity.

No comments: