Friday, April 24, 2009

No Satisfaction

Continuing with our study of Ecclesiastes:

Eccl. 1:13 And I gave my heart to seek and search out by wisdom concerning all things that are done under heaven: this sore travail hath God given to the sons of man to be exercised therewith.

Wisdom is the ability to use knowledge with skill and discernment to the best purpose. I think Solomon is saying that he didn’t just try to amass knowledge; he tried to utilize what he learned for good. Specifically, I think he was trying to understand the actions of men both in satisfying self and in relationship to others.

I like the way the CJB worded the last part of this verse: What a bothersome task God has given humanity to keep us occupied!

Eccl. 1:14-15 I have seen all the works that are done under the sun; and, behold, all is vanity and vexation of spirit. That which is crooked cannot be made straight: and that which is wanting cannot be numbered.

From his viewpoint, which he believes is all-encompassing, Solomon sees no purpose in life. In context, the reference is to the works of men. The thought seems to be that no matter how much we accomplish, it is never enough. It’s like—The more you know, the more you know you don’t know. The more you do, the more you see there is to do.

Eccl. 1:16-18 I communed with mine own heart, saying, Lo, I am come to great estate, and have gotten more wisdom than all they that have been before me in Jerusalem: yea, my heart had great experience of wisdom and knowledge. And I gave my heart to know wisdom, and to know madness and folly: I perceived that this also is vexation of spirit. For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow.

As noted earlier, Solomon was very wise and very wealthy. He was basically quoting God’s words to him in declaring himself to be the wisest of all who had preceded him in Jerusalem. He is at a point in life where he is looking back and making assessment. It seems to me that he is saying that he made an effort to experience both wisdom and self-indulgence and could find no satisfaction in either. He concludes that wisdom produces grief and more knowledge produces sorrow; in other words, neither provides true satisfaction because both result in showing you how much more there is to know and understand.

I think it is important to note that Solomon is relating his endeavors to achieve earthly wisdom and knowledge, and therein is the problem. Earthly wisdom and knowledge leave one empty and unfulfilled without application to spiritual benefit for eternity. This brings to mind the words of Jesus as recorded by Matthew.

Matthew 16:26 “For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?”

No comments: