Saturday, April 18, 2009

The Search for Meaning in Life

This blog was created to share my understanding of biblical prophecy as it applies to events that will impact planet earth in the not too distant future (in my opinion). At this point in time I have shared from all the verse-by-verse studies in scripture that I have completed to this point. There are many existing blogs that carry articles commenting on how events in the daily news apply to prophecy; in fact, many of them post the same articles. Rather than become just another fish in that ocean, I wanted to focus on another area that would increase our understanding of how to navigate through the increasingly dangerous waters ahead of us.

I continue to believe that intimacy with the scripture should be one of the main priorities in the life of the believer. Though the focus of this blog has been on prophecy, the content has reflected the truth of scripture as I understand it. As I considered what direction to take next, it occurred to me that we are in great need of biblical wisdom as we confront the challenges of day to day living as we await the Lord’s return.

Though I will continue to give updates in the area of prophecy as I gain new understanding through continued study, I’ve decided to devote the next section of blogs to a study of the book of Ecclesiastes. It’s always intrigued me that a man of such great wisdom as Solomon would allow his life to become filled with such “vanity” as he would put it. There is much we can learn from Solomon’s attempts to find satisfaction or purpose in this world apart from God. As we consider Solomon’s observations and conclusions, I believe that we will find many comparisons to man’s ongoing attempt today to find meaning in life.

Eccl. 1:1 The words of the Preacher, the son of David, king in Jerusalem.
Eccl. 1:12 I the Preacher was king over Israel in Jerusalem.


These two verses seem to establish pretty clearly that Solomon, the son of David who inherited the throne of Israel from his father, is the author of this book. When God gave him the opportunity to ask for anything he wanted, he asked for wisdom. That pleased God so much that he not only gave him wisdom but riches and honors as well.

1Kings 3:11-13 “And God said unto him, Because thou hast asked this thing, and hast not asked for thyself long life; neither hast asked riches for thyself, nor hast asked the life of thine enemies; but hast asked for thyself understanding to discern judgment; Behold, I have done according to thy words: lo, I have given thee a wise and an understanding heart; so that there was none like thee before thee, neither after thee shall any arise like unto thee. And I have also given thee that which thou hast not asked, both riches, and honour: so that there shall not be any among the kings like unto thee all thy days.”

Because he was blessed with so much, the next verses make you really sit up and take notice. This King who wanted for nothing according to the world’s standards was not a happy person.

Eccl. 1:2 Vanity of vanities, saith the Preacher, vanity of vanities; all is vanity.

It was interesting to notice that the root word for “vanity” included “vain in expectation.” Doesn’t that really get to the heart of the matter? Our culture functions on the premise that money, possessions and self-indulgence translate to happiness and fulfillment. That is a false expectation.

No comments: