Tuesday, January 6, 2009

What Shall I Give Thee?

In light of making New Year's resolutions, I wanted to share a poem the Lord gave me a few years ago that reminds us that we can succeed in anything we set out to do in obedience to and/or in honor of our God.

“What shall I give thee?
God inquired of Solomon one day.
What if He asked me the very same thing?
I wondered what would I say.

Would I ask for an understanding heart?
To know the bad from the good?
Would I ask to be clay in the Potter’s hands?
For the strength to do what I should?

To be known as God’s friend?
To be free from pride?
To possess a heart that is pure?

The choices are many.
Which one is best?
I want to be very sure.

The more that I pondered,
The shining light of truth began to dawn.
He couldn’t give more than He already had—
His precious only Son.

As an heir with Christ, there is nothing I lack.
I have everything that I need.

The choices I make show the value I place
On my gift from the King of kings.

He gave me the Spirit to teach me
And empower me from above.
It’s up to me to obey Him
And submit to Him in love.

I’d never trade with King Solomon
For his wisdom, wealth and fame.
I have so much more that is mine to claim
In Jesus’ holy name.

So, thank you, dear Lord for your patience and love,
For Your mercy and Your grace.
Please help me to humbly serve You with joy
TilI I see You face to face.

No comments: