Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Micah’s Prophecy of the Coming Reign of Messiah in Restored Israel – Part 1

The prophet Micah was a prophet of Judah who was also a contemporary of Isaiah. His prophecies are directed to both the Northern and Southern Kingdoms of Israel. Once we reach chapter four, his prophecy is one concerning “the last days.”

This chapter begins with a declaration that the “mountain of the house of the Lord” (the temple mount in Jerusalem) will be situated above all other hills; so this indicates a change in the current geography on planet earth. The prophet Isaiah proclaimed this same message. In fact, the first three verses of Isaiah 2 and Micah 4 are virtually the same.

Micah 4:1-3 But in the last days it shall come to pass, that the mountain of the house of the LORD shall be established in the top of the mountains, and it shall be exalted above the hills; and people shall flow unto it. And many nations shall come, and say, Come, and let us go up to the mountain of the LORD, and to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will teach us of his ways, and we will walk in his paths: for the law shall go forth of Zion, and the word of the LORD from Jerusalem. And he shall judge among many people, and rebuke strong nations afar off; and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruninghooks: nation shall not lift up a sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more.

This prophecy also declares that there is yet a coming temple to be rebuilt in Jerusalem. This time, however, the temple will be a place of worship for many nations, not just Israel. In direct contrast to the attitude of most people today, people from many nations will acknowledge the God of Israel as Lord and will be seeking to be taught according to His ways and desiring to live their lives according to that teaching. This should be the mindset of every Christian, and was declared by Jesus to be a proof of those who love Him.

John 14:23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

The word many stood out to me. Although Christ will be on the throne and ruling with a rod of iron, man will still have the choice of accepting Him as Lord and Savior; and, much to my amazement, many will choose to reject Him as indicated by the fact that scripture declares that Satan will be loosed one more time and will be able to gather a great coalition to come against Christ and His kingdom.

Revelation 20:7-8 And when the thousand years are expired, Satan shall be loosed out of his prison, And shall go out to deceive the nations which are in the four quarters of the earth, Gog and Magog, to gather them together to battle: the number of whom is as the sand of the sea.

Though many will choose to reject Him, Messiah will govern with complete authority. Nations will not be allowed to pursue war against one another. As I noted in my journal on Isaiah, “The Lord will rule as a dictator, but not like any dictator this world has ever known. He will rule with complete righteousness and holiness. In today’s society He would be seen as infringing upon the rights of the individual. He would be tagged as intolerant and not politically correct.”

The next verse indicates that every person will be able to dwell in his own home in safety and without fear.

Micah 4:4 But they shall sit every man under his vine and under his fig tree; and none shall make them afraid: for the mouth of the LORD of hosts hath spoken it.

Even with all the technological advances at our disposal today, no ruler on earth today can make that type of promise—but Almighty God can.

The next verse is very interesting.

Micah 4:5 For all people will walk every one in the name of his god, and we will walk in the name of the LORD our God for ever and ever.

When the Lord is on the throne, men will have true religious freedom. This verse teaches an important truth. Although nations will be governed in righteousness and truth, God never forces people to publicly declare Him as Lord until the opportunity to turn to Him in faith has come to an end. Love and obedience that is forced is not true love or obedience. I believe that is the main reason God sovereignly chose to give man the freedom of choice. Micah, as a prophet of Israel, boldly declares that the time is coming when the people of Israel will “walk in the name of the LORD our God for ever.” The prophets Jeremiah and Ezekiel confirm that prophecy and explain how that will happen.

Jeremiah 31:33-34 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people. And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.

Ezekiel 36:24-28 For I will take you from among the heathen, and gather you out of all countries, and will bring you into your own land. Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you. A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them. And ye shall dwell in the land that I gave to your fathers; and ye shall be my people, and I will be your God.

No comments: