Saturday, January 3, 2009

New Year Resolutions

My “New Year” resolutions for last year were to improve in dying to self, to grow in faith, and to become a more effective prayer warrior. My list for this year is the same since I am far from satisfied with my success in any of these areas. I am encouraged to persevere, however, because God has so graciously included in scripture a record of the struggles of great men of faith. They appeared to walk through the same process of one step forward and two steps backwards at times as well on their spiritual journey in life.

I am reminded how Elijah stood up so boldly in a demonstration of faith in God against the prophets of Baal only to run in fear right after from the threat of Jezebel to take his life. David is identified in scripture as a man after God’s own heart, yet he fell victim to pride and lust and took Bathsheba as his own after having Uriah killed at the front of battle. Peter spent wonderful years of teaching at the feet of Jesus while witnessing the mighty signs and wonders He performed, yet he fell to temptation and denied his Lord in fear for his own life when Jesus was on trial.

I am also reminded that the Lord did not hold their failings against them. He responded with comfort, encouragement, conviction, and consequence as necessary to grow them into the men of faith they became. And I know He will do the same for me if I will but yield my life to Him as they did. I am determined to hold fast to God’s promises and focus on the power of His Spirit in me rather than my weakness in the flesh.

Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct thy paths.

1Corinthians 10:13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.

Philippians 4:19 But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.

1John 4:4 … greater is He that is in you, than he that is in the world.

Isaiah 26:3-4 Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee. Trust ye in the LORD for ever: for in the LORD JEHOVAH is everlasting strength….

May you all have a happy new year and may you grow in your spiritual journey as well!

No comments: