Tuesday, June 12, 2012

The Harbinger by Jonathan Cahn



Several months ago I listened to Mr. Cahn’s teaching connecting the events of 9/11 to Isaiah 9:10.  I thought it very interesting and was delighted to learn that he had written about this teaching in novel form since I knew it would provide an interesting format to better analyze the teaching in the form of a hard copy for future reference.  

Personally, I think Mr. Cahn did a wonderful job with his first novel.  Although I have read what I believe to be some unfair criticism of his work, I don’t think anyone with an open mind can ignore or make light of the parallels outlined in his teaching.  He carefully differentiates between America and Israel and continually makes note of the fact that Isaiah 9 was a message regarding ancient Israel.  He also states, correctly so in my opinion, that Israel provides a pattern for the nations to understand how God deals with His people.  Though there are varying opinions concerning the “Christian” foundations of our nation, the fact is that our identification as a Christian nation was widely accepted both in this country and throughout the world until the last half century.  The quotations he uses from the historical record speak for themselves in establishing the foundation for the astonishing parallels he identifies.

Frankly, I don’t see how Mr. Cahn could have developed this teaching without the leadership of the Holy Spirit.  I think God has raised him up as a modern day prophet to the people of America just as surely as He raised up Isaiah to sound out a warning to the people of Israel.  Mr. Cahn’s focus throughout is to turn the thoughts of the reader to the word of God with an emphasis on God’s love and mercy.  He also necessarily declares that in light of a pervading culture of sin righteous judgment becomes necessary to produce repentance and salvation.  In no way did I ever get the feeling that he was trying to promote himself; he sincerely seems concerned about getting out the message of warning that America so desperately needs to hear at this time.

I would encourage anyone who hasn’t read the book to read it with an open heart.  I have already shared this book with some in my family and hope to share it with many more.   I think it could serve to open up channels of communication with some who would never choose to discuss scripture but just might be drawn into discussion about a book on the NYTimes bestseller list.

No comments: