Thursday, June 14, 2012

Followup on review of “The Harbinger”


After perusing some of the newsletters and websites I normally keep an eye on, I am appalled at the lack of discernment among so-called discerning Christians.  I am truly amazed how the professing body of believers is unable to understand the position of Israel as the means through whom God reveals His heart and character to the nations of the world.  Without that understanding, you might as well throw out most of the Old Testament as having any relevance whatsoever to the person of faith today.

Though we cannot apply specific promises to Israel to America or any other nation for that matter, God reveals through His words and actions toward Israel a blueprint that can be applied to His people of any time or generation.  

Yes, 2Chronicles 7:14 was stated in context as a response to Solomon regarding the people of Israel; however, the promise is applicable to “my people who are called by my name.”  I am one of those people; and if you are a believer, so are you.  Can the general populace of our nation pray that prayer and expect a response from God?  No.  Can true believers in America as a whole pray that prayer and expect a response from God?  I believe, Yes.  The sad truth is that the body of believers in our nation and throughout the world is a composition of diverse groups who are intent on taking a stand based on differences of understanding of scripture rather than seeking unity of spirit based on the leading of the Holy Spirit and a literal interpretation of the word of God.  

Scripture is clear in declaring that the Lord is the same today as yesterday; He never changes.

Malachi 3:6 “For I am the LORD, I change not.”

Hebrews 13:8 “Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.”

It is based on His character that Christians can look at God’s actions toward the nation of Israel and gain an understanding of how He deals with His people of all times.  I am also reminded of a verse in Ecclesiastes.

Ecclesiastes 1:9 “The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.”

It is certainly not beyond reason to expect to see parallels between the rebellion of “God’s” people throughout the years and God’s actions towards them in light of that rebellion.  It is also not surprising to me that God would provide a special word of prophecy to Israel in Isaiah that would also be applicable to America and meant to serve as a modern day prophetic warning to the people of this nation.  

I’ll be the first to admit that I get confused when “Christian leaders” cannot agree on what Scripture has to say----especially when it seems clear to a “normal” believer like me.  In my study of scripture, I have often gained points of illumination through the writings of people with whom I can agree very little or with whom I agree only in part.  I choose to take the nuggets of revelation that contribute to my understanding as coming from the Holy Spirit.  I am careful on my website and this blog to declare that what I write is according to my understanding.  Scripture is very clear in stating that every believer is to be accountable to search God’s word for confirmation of any teaching.

Acts 17:11 “These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.”

I’ve read the criticism that Mr. Cahn has appeared on shows with those who are identified as false teachers.  If that is the case, you better stay away from Hal Lindsay, Chuck Smith, Ray Comfort and others who appear on TBN.  I have personally benefitted from some quality programming on that station; but overall, in my opinion, it is a station that primarily promotes false teachers. 

I am also reminded of these words from the Apostle Paul.

Philippians 1:15–18 “Some indeed preach Christ even of envy and strife; and some also of good will: The one preach Christ of contention, not sincerely, supposing to add affliction to my bonds: But the other of love, knowing that I am set for the defence of the gospel. What then? notwithstanding, every way, whether in pretence, or in truth, Christ is preached; and I therein do rejoice, yea, and will rejoice.”

Jonathan Cahn very clearly presents the gospel; and I, for one, pray that many will read his book and turn to the word of God as Bereans to ascertain whether or not his message is biblical.  I believe it is.

No comments: