Friday, May 6, 2011

QUESTIONING THE GOD OF SCRIPTURE

As we bring this discussion about heaven and hell to a close, we will address the folly of man’s choice to question God.

This world is cursed by sin. I believe all disease and all the destructive forces of nature that we identify as “acts of God” are a result of the curse of sin. God does not isolate His children from the effects of that curse any more than he withholds the benefits of nature from those that reject Him.

Matthew 5:44–45 “But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.”

Does He ever intervene supernaturally in nature to bring about judgment? Yes. Does He ever intervene supernaturally to perform miracles of healing and protection for His children? Yes. Scripture is everywhere clear that God is working out His plan according to His will. Sometimes that plan allows “bad” (from our perspective) things to happen to those who have placed their faith in Him. Though we may not understand His ways, we can cling to His promise that He is working “good” (from His perspective) through the process.

Isaiah 14:24 “The LORD of hosts hath sworn, saying, Surely as I have thought, so shall it come to pass; and as I have purposed, so shall it stand….”

Romans 8:28 “And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.”


In my humble opinion, those who refuse to accept the reality of hell and/or refuse to believe that God will not condemn those who reject Him to eternal punishment as taught in the scripture are declaring themselves to be more righteous than God. Through human reasoning based on a limited understanding, they have determined that a loving God cannot possibly condemn one to eternal suffering. The important truth is that we cannot understand or reason like God; if we could, He would not be God.

Isaiah 55:8–9 “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.”

Furthermore, they are basically calling God a liar according to the truth revealed in scripture based on all the scripture presented in this series of posts. I am reminded of the words of Paul: “...let God be true, but every man a liar….” (Romans 3:4).

Though there is much that we can’t understand about the workings of God in our lives. I am confident that we will understand one day and that understanding will cause us to praise and glorify our Lord.

1 Corinthians 13:9–12 “For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away. When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things. For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.”

“That which is perfect” is a reference to Jesus and when we shall see Him “face to face.” And when we see Him, we will understand the holiness and righteousness of all His actions.

Revelation 15:3-4 “Great and marvelous are your deeds, Lord God Almighty. Just and true are your ways, King of the ages. Who will not fear, O Lord, and glorify your name? For you alone are holy. All nations will come and worship before you, for your righteous deeds have been revealed.”


Click on image for larger picture.

No comments: