Thursday, June 11, 2009

You Can’t Take it With You

Continuing our study of Ecclesiastes…

Eccl. 5:13-15 There is a sore evil which I have seen under the sun, namely, riches kept for the owners thereof to their hurt. But those riches perish by evil travail: and he begetteth a son, and there is nothing in his hand. As he came forth of his mother’s womb, naked shall he return to go as he came, and shall take nothing of his labour, which he may carry away in his hand.

Solomon next takes note of the rich man who ends up losing his wealth through a poor business venture or theft or some other type of disaster. The result is that the man ends up with nothing to leave to his son, his heir. In the end, he will leave this life as naked and empty handed as he came into it.

Our culture is focused on getting material wealth to enjoy the temporal pleasures of this lifetime with no thought of gaining spiritual treasure that they will enjoy for eternity. The enemy has truly excelled in this area of deception. I am reminded again of the words of the Lord.

Matthew 6:19-21 “Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.”

Eccl. 5:16-17 And this also is a sore evil, that in all points as he came, so shall he go: and what profit hath he that hath laboured for the wind? All his days also he eateth in darkness, and he hath much sorrow and wrath with his sickness.

As I continued to think on this section, I think it is emphasizing the last. A person will leave this life just as he/she entered it—with nothing. All the energy one invests in working to attain material wealth is pictured as futile, like struggling with the wind. This knowledge causes many to live their lives in misery, sorrow and wrath. It’s like living with an incurable disease.

Eccl. 5:18 ¶ Behold that which I have seen: it is good and comely for one to eat and to drink, and to enjoy the good of all his labour that he taketh under the sun all the days of his life, which God giveth him: for it is his portion.

According to Solomon’s observations, it is much better to enjoy what you have while you can. Don’t worry about amassing more and more. Enjoy the life that God has given you; it’s what God intended for you.

Eccl. 5:19-20 Every man also to whom God hath given riches and wealth, and hath given him power to eat thereof, and to take his portion, and to rejoice in his labour; this is the gift of God. For he shall not much remember the days of his life; because God answereth him in the joy of his heart.

The wording indicates that Solomon recognizes that God is the source of all we have. In His sovereignty He chooses to give some riches and wealth and health to enjoy it all. That person should enjoy his work and rejoice in his blessings as a gift from God. One who takes that outlook will not look back on his life with sorrow, but with good memories of the blessings God has given him/her.

As a person who is not wealthy by American standards, I can find personal application to recognizing that this truth applies to one who is wealthy spiritually. I have found that the more I trust the Lord and live with the desire to honor Him, the more “wealthy” I consider myself to be in comparison to those who have only material wealth. He has filled my life with joy, especially through the blessings of my family. I know that He is going to supply what I need, so I don’t sit around worrying about those needs. Though I know we may face much harder times ahead, I know that if I will continue to honor and obey the Lord, I have nothing to fear and everything to gain.

John 16:33 “These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.”

Philippians 4:19 “But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.”

1 Corinthians 2:9 “But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.”

No comments: