Saturday, June 20, 2009

Who Knows Best?

Continuing with our study of Ecclesiastes…

Eccl. 6:10-12 That which hath been is named already, and it is known that it is man: neither may he contend with him that is mightier than he. Seeing there be many things that increase vanity, what is man the better? For who knoweth what is good for man in this life, all the days of his vain life which he spendeth as a shadow? for who can tell a man what shall be after him under the sun?

After looking at the Hebrew and reading several translations, I think Solomon is reflecting on the character of man and God. The basic character of man was defined by Adam, the human creation. He is powerless before Almighty God, “Him that is mightier than he,” the Creator. The Hebrew for the “many things that increase vanity” indicates a reference to words or thoughts. Solomon’s observation--No matter the number of words or thoughts, a reference to knowledge or wisdom, how do they actually benefit man? If knowledge and wisdom do not benefit our search for satisfaction, what’s the point? I liked the CJB translation of verse 12: “For who knows what is good for someone during life, during the days of his pointless life spent like a shadow? Who can tell what will happen under the sun after a person is gone?”

My son went through a terrible time of rebellion after graduating from high school. The Lord had to let him experience the truth of the futility of trying to find satisfaction through feeding the flesh before he was willing to repent and seek forgiveness and restored fellowship with the Lord and with his family. The night that brought him to a new beginning found him on his knees in our kitchen floor asking his father, “Is this all there is to life?” That sort of mirrors the thoughts of Solomon at this point.

Concerning who knows what is best for man in this life, the Christian knows that the obvious answer is God. I liked Chuck Smith’s comments on this. “What is better for me? Who really knows? I don't know my own heart. It's deceitful and desperately wicked. God knows. God knows what is best for me. That is why it is so wrong for me to contend with God when He doesn't do for me what I think He ought to be doing. When He doesn't give to me those things that I feel I need and desire….And rather than fighting and contending because He's not doing things my way, I need to just submit and yield my life into His hand, into His wisdom, for He knows what is best for me. And even the sorrow or the tragedy that I might be experiencing today God is using for my good. Even the sickness or the suffering that I might be experiencing now God is working His eternal purpose through it.”

The NIV Commentary indicated that the writer was basically conveying the thought that a man’s life is predestined by God, so he might as well not gripe or complain about his lot in life. You can’t overturn His will.

I really take issue with that understanding. Scripture is quite clear in declaring that man has the freedom to make his own choices.

Ezekiel 18:23 “Have I any pleasure at all that the wicked should die? saith the Lord GOD: and not that he should return from his ways, and live?”

Ezekiel 18:32 “For I have no pleasure in the death of him that dieth, saith the Lord GOD: wherefore turn yourselves, and live ye.”

John 3:16 “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”

Romans 10:13 “For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.”

2 Peter 3:9 “The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.”


God would not make such a statements if man were not endowed with freedom of choice. This is one of those hot button issues for me, but I’ll leave it at that for the time being.

No comments: