Friday, May 15, 2009

Life is Unfair

Chapter 4 continues Solomon’s journal of observations as he attempts to find meaning in life.

Eccl. 4:1 ¶ So I returned, and considered all the oppressions that are done under the sun: and behold the tears of such as were oppressed, and they had no comforter; and on the side of their oppressors there was power; but they had no comforter.

At this point Solomon takes note of how unfair life seems to be. All around he can observe people being mistreated by wicked men. The Hebrew for the word “oppress” makes reference to one who would defraud, violate, deceive and do violence to others. He also observed that all the power seemed to be on the side of the oppressors and that there was no one looking out for the oppressed; they had no comforter—no one to console them or avenge them.

I think most everyone in America and throughout the world today can identify with Solomon’s observation. More often than not, those with power and influence get by with wrongdoing simply because they have money and/or position to bribe and/or manipulate the powers that be. Sometimes we can’t help but wonder why God allows these people to prosper. That thinking is just another cop out that places blame on God and refuses to recognize our own responsibility in allowing such wicked men to prosper as a result of our apathy and/or refusal to take action to hold them accountable.

Other men of faith struggled with these same thoughts, but Solomon’s own father, David, clearly understood the truth.

Psalms 73:11-18 “And they say, How doth God know? and is there knowledge in the most High? Behold, these are the ungodly, who prosper in the world; they increase in riches. Verily I have cleansed my heart in vain, and washed my hands in innocency. For all the day long have I been plagued, and chastened every morning.If I say, I will speak thus; behold, I should offend against the generation of thy children. When I thought to know this, it was too painful for me; Until I went into the sanctuary of God; then understood I their end. Surely thou didst set them in slippery places: thou castedst them down into destruction.”

As I continued to think about this, I was reminded that Solomon was known as an oppressive king according to those who advised his son Rehoboam upon assuming throne.

1Kings 12:9-11 “And he said unto them, What counsel give ye that we may answer this people, who have spoken to me, saying, Make the yoke which thy father did put upon us lighter? And the young men that were grown up with him spake unto him, saying, Thus shalt thou speak unto this people that spake unto thee, saying, Thy father made our yoke heavy, but make thou it lighter unto us; thus shalt thou say unto them, My little finger shall be thicker than my father’s loins. And now whereas my father did lade you with a heavy yoke, I will add to your yoke: my father hath chastised you with whips, but I will chastise you with scorpions.”

It is always easier to point out someone else’s sin while refusing to admit our own. It seems that Solomon was not much better than the politicians in America today. They seem to be quite adept at pointing out the injustice practiced by others according to their own perceptions while refusing to acknowledge their own wrong actions and/or choosing to justify them as necessary for a higher good. They choose to live by the motto that the end justifies the means.

No comments: