Monday, May 18, 2009

I’d Rather be Dead

Continuing our study of Solomon’s search for meaning in life….

Eccl. 4:2-3 Wherefore I praised the dead which are already dead more than the living which are yet alive. Yea, better is he than both they, which hath not yet been, who hath not seen the evil work that is done under the sun.

Solomon goes on to rationalize that the dead are better off than those who are alive, and that the unborn is even better off than either those who are dead or alive. Solomon isn’t the only person in the bible to express such thoughts. I am reminded of the words of Job and Jeremiah.

Job 3:11-13 “Why died I not from the womb? why did I not give up the ghost when I came out of the belly? Why did the knees prevent me? or why the breasts that I should suck? For now should I have lain still and been quiet, I should have slept: then had I been at rest….”

Jeremiah 20:14-18 “Cursed be the day wherein I was born: let not the day wherein my mother bare me be blessed. Cursed be the man who brought tidings to my father, saying, A man child is born unto thee; making him very glad. And let that man be as the cities which the LORD overthrew, and repented not: and let him hear the cry in the morning, and the shouting at noontide; Because he slew me not from the womb; or that my mother might have been my grave, and her womb to be always great with me. Wherefore came I forth out of the womb to see labour and sorrow, that my days should be consumed with shame?”

This is a really pathetic outlook on life. This type of thinking is a direct result of allowing circumstances to take our focus off the Lord and His will for us and turn that focus on self and our own will. It is God’s will to bless us abundantly if we will but live in submission to His will as LORD.

Psalms 84:11 “For the LORD God is a sun and shield: the LORD will give grace and glory: no good thing will he withhold from them that walk uprightly.”

Joshua 1:8 “This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success.”


The key is in refusing to allow expectation to stumble our faith. We should rest in trust of God’s faithfulness to His Word according to His timing and purpose period—no other expectations attached.

No comments: