Friday, September 26, 2008

The Coming of the King - Isaiah 63

In chapter 63 the prophet begins to describe the return of Jesus, the conquering King. It’s interesting to note that He is described as coming from Edom, an area that is today part of Jordan, and specifically from Bozrah, the capital of Edom that is directly linked to the city known as Petra, the capital city of the Nabateans who eventually ruled Edom. I think another excerpt from my journal in Isaiah is appropriate here.

When I began a personal in-depth study of prophecy, this verse was confusing to me. I think I was hung up on the expectation I had established in my mind of the Lord returning in glory with His first touch being on the Mount of Olives. As I considered the scripture and began to research, I realized that understanding to be flawed. I credit Dr. Arnold Fruchtenbaum’s article, “The Campaign of Armageddon,” with giving me a clearer understanding of the events comprising this campaign.

Zechariah tells us that there will be a remnant of at least 1/3 of the Jews that will come through the tribulation (see journal on Daniel 9 for explanation of this time) and will come to saving faith in the Lord.

Zech. 13:8-9 And it shall come to pass, that in all the land, saith the LORD, two parts therein shall be cut off and die; but the third shall be left therein. And I will bring the third part through the fire, and will refine them as silver is refined, and will try them as gold is tried: they shall call on my name, and I will hear them: I will say, It is my people: and they shall say, The LORD is my God.

These verses in Isaiah, along with the following verses in Micah and Daniel, point to many Jews being spared in the Bozrah or today’s Jordan.

Dan. 11:41 He shall enter also into the glorious land, and many countries shall be overthrown: but these shall escape out of his hand, even Edom, and Moab, and the chief of the children of Ammon.

Mic. 2:12 I will surely assemble, O Jacob, all of thee; I will surely gather the remnant of Israel; I will put them together as the sheep of Bozrah, as the flock in the midst of their fold: they shall make great noise by reason of the multitude of men.

Moab (descendants of Lot) and Edom (descendants of Esau) were neighboring countries. In Isaiah 16:4 the people of Moab were urged to be kind to the outcasts of Israel.

“Let mine outcasts dwell with thee, Moab; be thou a covert to them from the face of the spoiler: for the extortioner is at an end, the spoiler ceaseth, the oppressors are consumed out of the land.” (to be cont.)

No comments: