Thursday, March 27, 2008

Jesus is "Coming" Twice

Paul wasn’t so detailed in his letter to the Corinthians, but he was quite clear in declaring that not all believers would die. ALL believers, however, would be changed in a moment to put on incorruption and immortality.

1Cor. 15:51-53 Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.

Jesus actually taught in support of Paul’s revelation as recorded in the gospel of John.

John 14:1-3 Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father’s house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.

He is telling His disciples that He is going to His Father’s house [heaven] to prepare a place for them. He would then return to take them to be with Him in the place that He prepared [in heaven].

I think many people get confused because of the reference to the “coming” of Jesus. They refuse to recognize a reference to two comings—one that is invisible and one that is visible, one in which believers meet the Lord in the air to go to the Father’s house and one in which He comes to earth to sit on the throne of David.

No comments: