Saturday, March 22, 2008

Delivered from Wrath

It is clear from the teaching of the Lord as recorded by Matthew (chapter 24) that this time is a specific period yet future. He makes reference to a functioning temple in Jerusalem and the “abomination, spoken of by Daniel the prophet standing in the holy place.” (Daniel 9:27) This would seem to be referencing an idol or false god (i.e. Antichrist) desecrating the temple for sure, and most probably the holy of holies. Jesus also described the period following that event as the worst time ever experienced in the world—past or future. This would not be an accurate description of the destruction of Jerusalem by the Romans in 70AD. Jesus was speaking of a time of worldwide impact. He went on to state that except for the fact that God intervenes, no flesh would survive (verse 22). And this time is only referencing the last half of the period of God's wrath that begins with the opening of the Sixth Seal of Revelation.

After determining that the wrath of God is for a specific time yet future, the obvious question becomes, “Is there no way of escape?” Frankly, I don’t believe any real student of scripture can deny that it boldly declares that those who have accepted Jesus as Lord and Savior will be saved or delivered from this experience. You can’t get a much clearer statement than that made by the Apostle Paul to the Thessalonians.

1Th. 5:9-10 For God hath not appointed us to wrath, but to obtain salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ, Who died for us, that, whether we wake or sleep, we should live together with him.

The Apostle John also recorded in the Lord’s letter to the church of Philadelphia that those who keep His word will be kept from “the hour of temptation which shall come upon all the world.” “Those who keep His word” would obviously reference those who claim Jesus as Lord and Savior.

Paul also told the believers in Rome that those who are “justified by His blood will be saved from wrath through Him [Jesus].”

2 comments:

ParsonRob said...

Dear Sharon,

I've been reading some of your posts, and have been enjoying them very much.

I wonder, though, on this one. Are you saying that the 'Church' (true believers)are saved and delivered from just the last half of the 70th. Week of Daniel?

If so, you site Rev. 6:15-17, as proof that God's 'wrath' is only after the 6th. Seal! But if you carefully read about the other five seals are opened by the same Lamb, as the sixth seal!

Granted, Jesus spoke of the final 3 1/2 years of the 7 Year Trib. as the "Great Tribualtion", but it doesn't negate that the first five seals are not tribulation(s)! And we know they begin to take place at the beginning!

I'm not sure if your implying that true christians will have to go through the first 3 1/2 years of the Trib.?

Please correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Thank you again for your prolific writings!

Sincerely in Christ,
ParsonRob (Rob Madden)
www.libertybiblefellowship.com

Sharon said...

ParsonRob, I appreciate your question. Hopefully, my new series of blogs on Thessalonians will be better understood than my first attempt; it is going verse by verse rather than trying to summarize. I will try to summarize better for you here, but you can find a more complete explanation by going to my website, www.momsbiblejournal.com, and reading my verse by verse journal for Revelation, chapters 4-7.

I believe that believers will be in heaven with the Lord Jesus during the whole 7 years that we call the tribulation, Daniel's 70th week. For a long time my mind was closed to considering that there could be error in all that I had learned previously. The more I have studied the word verse by verse and asked God for understanding, I believe he has opened my eyes to better understanding in some areas. In short, I believe the first five seals are connected to the birth pains described in Matthew 24. I believe that the 6th seal is describing the beginning of the time of God's wrath because it says so. 2Thessalonians is clear that the Antichrist will not be revealed until the Holy Spirit has been removed from earth through the rapture of the church, and I now tend to believe that the rapture will happen prior to or in conjunction with the 6th seal since I believe we are already experiencing birth pains.

I hope this answer is helpful.