Friday, February 8, 2008

Looking Forward to the Kingdom

As I was in a time of prayer early this morning, I came to a time of expressing my desire for the coming of His Kingdom. I found myself thanking the Lord for the many things that I believe will characterize that Kingdom. Scripture tells us that the Lord will rule with a rod of iron and that Satan will be bound during that time. The creation will be greatly restored and long life will once again be common.

I thought about how wonderful it will be to be able to turn on the television and not be bombarded with hour after hour of reporting on senseless murders and the lives of narcissistic celebrities. To live in a world that is free of the threat of natural disasters. To know that everyone will receive righteous judgment in the courts without regard to their financial resources, social standing, or ethnicity. To see the sanctity of life honored from the womb to the aged. To know that “entertainment” that feeds the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes and the pride of life will not be tolerated. To experience a governing authority that is not worried about making politically correct decisions or promoting the agendas of special interest groups. To know that the truth of God will be taught and that false teachers will not be given such public forums.

I know that those born in the kingdom will still possess a sin nature, and that people will still sin. The significant difference will be that sin will not be allowed to become so rampant that it usurps righteous governance and judgment. Only at the end of His 1000-year reign will the Lord loose Satan to gather forces for one last rebellion against His authority. Most amazing to me is that he will be able to recruit a great army to join him. After experiencing the reign of the God of truth and righteousness, man will once again prove that he is sinful to the core and totally deserving of the judgment to come.

Even so, Come Lord Jesus.

2 comments:

Bro. Jason Parker said...

I don't quite understand. After the rapture and tribulation will there be another 1000 years of life as normal life is concerned. Where will those that have been raised and raptured be? Please help me understand this. www.yellowchurchdove@hotmail.com My name is Jason Parker

Sharon said...

All I can do is explain to you from my understanding of scripture. The first part of Revelation 20 tells me clearly that Jesus is coming to rule as King on the throne of David from which He will rule the world for 1000 years. There are also Old Testament scriptures that talk about the Messiah's earthly kingdom, i.e., Isaiah 9:6-7 and Daniel 2:44. Isaiah 65 describes that kingdom as a place where much of the curse of sin has been lifted--people are living long lives, animals are harmless. Jesus stated in John 14 that believers will be with Him forever once He comes to take them to His Father's home. I believe that we will be serving as priests (according to Rev 20:6) and probably delegated positions of spiritual oversight.

This is a short answer to a very good question that really embraces a much broader subject. There are more detailed comments on specific scripture on my website--www.momsbiblejournal.com. Regarding this question, I would suggest that you look at Daniel 2, Isaiah 65, and Revelation 19-20. I will be happy to continue this discussion with you. I'm a seeker just like you and have had the opportunity to devote a lot of time to Bible Study over the last several years.

Looking for His soon return,
Sharon