Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Daniel - Part 4

Now we will proceed to chapter nine for the next revelation Daniel received as he was praying to God on behalf of his people, asking for forgiveness and asking Him to deliver His people once again. He knew from the writings of Jeremiah that the captivity was only to last seventy years, and that time was coming to an end. During his prayer he is again visited by the angel Gabriel. Gabriel’s message is so detailed about many events that are past history that many have tried to discredit Daniel’s writing.

The first thing he tells Daniel is that 70 weeks have been decreed for the Jewish nation and Jerusalem to accomplish some specific things.

1. To finish transgression – In other words, to bring an end to their rebellion against God’s authority.

2. To make an end of sins – I believe this is a reference to the establishment of the new covenant God will make with the people of Israel as they enter the Messiah’s Kingdom. This covenant declares that He will put His law in their hearts and they will accept Him as LORD. The prophet Ezekiel states it this way:
Ezek. 36:25-28 Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you. A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them. And ye shall dwell in the land that I gave to your fathers; and ye shall be my people, and I will be your God.

I believe this is the time that Paul was speaking of when he spoke of the time that “all Israel will be saved” (Romans 11:26).

3. To make reconciliation for iniquity – This is referencing the atoning death, burial and resurrection of Jesus as the sacrifice for sin.

4. To bring in everlasting righteousness – I believe this goes hand-in-hand with #2 but embraces all those who will be joined with Israel as part of Messiah’s eternal kingdom.

5. To seal up vision and prophecy – This simply means to put an end to it. It will no longer be needed since Jesus will be on the throne.

6. To anoint the most holy – This would seem to allow for both the anointing/consecrating of Jesus as King and the anointing of the new temple, Ezekiel’s temple.

These weeks are a reference in Hebrew to weeks of years; in other words, each week equals seven years. Gabriel then breaks the 70 weeks up into three sections:
• 7 weeks or 49 years
• 62 weeks or 434 years
• 1 week or 7 years
I’m sure there is a significance as to why the first 7 weeks are singled out, but I’ve yet to get a clue as to why.

No comments: