Monday, December 16, 2013

THE LION, THE ROOT OF DAVID, THE LAMB


In the previous post we were shown a seven-sealed scroll that represents the right of authority over planet earth.  A search was made for one qualified to open the scroll, but no one was found.  This caused John to break down in tears because I believe he understood the significance of finding the One qualified to open the scroll.

Revelation 5:4 “And one of the elders saith unto me, Weep not: behold, the Lion of the tribe of Juda, the Root of David, hath prevailed to open the book, and to loose the seven seals thereof.”

One of the elders came to comfort John and informed him that “the Lion of the tribe of Juda, the Root of David,” had emerged as the Victor qualified to open the scroll.  Scripture refers to this person as God, specifically as Jesus.

Hosea 5:14 “For I will be unto Ephraim as a lion, and as a young lion to the house of Judah: I, even I, will tear and go away; I will take away, and none shall rescue him.”

Isaiah 11:10 “And in that day there shall be a root of Jesse, which shall stand for an ensign of the people; to it shall the Gentiles seek: and his rest shall be glorious.”
            Note:  Jesse is the father of David

Revelation 22:16 “I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star.”

When John looked to see who had come forth, he saw one that stood as a “Lamb as it had been slain.”

Revelation 5:6-7 “And I beheld, and, lo, in the midst of the throne and of the four beasts, and in the midst of the elders, stood a Lamb as it had been slain, having seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven Spirits of God sent forth into all the earth. And he came and took the book out of the right hand of him that sat upon the throne.”

This is another section in which I feel I have gained a much better understanding in the last few years.  Once I realized that the 24 elders were probably representative of angels and not representative of the raptured church, it was easier for me to understand how this section could be similar to that in the beginning of chapter 12—showing the historical background that sets the stage for what would follow.  It also provided an answer as to why Jesus was not at the right hand of the Father when John first entered heaven, which is where scripture declares Him to be.

Hebrews 1:1-3 “God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets, Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds; Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high;”

Hebrews 10:10-12 “…we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all….this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God; From henceforth expecting till his enemies be made his footstool.”

Hebrews 12:2 “Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.”

1 Peter 3:21-22 “…the resurrection of Jesus Christ: Who is gone into heaven, and is on the right hand of God; angels and authorities and powers being made subject unto him.”

I believe this is a picture of the victorious resurrected Lord Jesus, the Lamb that had willingly offered Himself as the only acceptable sacrifice that would provide for the redemption of mankind.

This Lamb is pictured having seven horns and seven eyes.  The number seven represents completion in scripture, and I believe the seven horns picture His complete authority over planet earth.  He had successfully “taken back” the authority Adam had relinquished to Satan when he chose to follow Him in rejection of God as His LORD.

1 Corinthians 15:20-22 “But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the firstfruits of them that slept. For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead. For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.”

2 Corinthians 4:3-4 “But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost: In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.”

1 John 3:8 “He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.”

Hebrews 2:9 & 14 “But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man…. Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil….”

The “seven eyes, which are the seven spirits of God” throughout the earth are a picture of the Lord’s omniscience—the fact that He knows and sees everything, has complete knowledge—made possible through His everywhere present Holy Spirit.  Do I truly understand how this is possible?  No—and I am glad I don’t.  If I could understand all about Him, He would not be the LORD God. 

Isaiah 55:8-9 “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.”

God is much greater than His creation.

2 Chronicles 2:5-6 “…for great is our God above all gods. But who is able to build him an house, seeing the heaven and heaven of heavens cannot contain him….”

Psalms 139:1 & 7-10 “O LORD, thou hast searched me, and known me…. Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence?  If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there.  If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea; Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.”

Jeremiah 23:24 “Can any hide himself in secret places that I shall not see him? saith the LORD. Do not I fill heaven and earth? saith the LORD.”

(to be continued…)

No comments: