Sunday, November 10, 2013

JOHN’S VISION OF THE GLORIFIED SAVIOR


Revelation 1:12–20 “And I turned to see the voice that spake with me. And being turned, I saw seven golden candlesticks; And in the midst of the seven candlesticks one like unto the Son of man, clothed with a garment down to the foot, and girt about the paps with a golden girdle. His head and his hairs were white like wool, as white as snow; and his eyes were as a flame of fire; And his feet like unto fine brass, as if they burned in a furnace; and his voice as the sound of many waters. And he had in his right hand seven stars: and out of his mouth went a sharp twoedged sword: and his countenance was as the sun shineth in his strength.  And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last:  I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.  Write the things which thou hast seen, and the things which are, and the things which shall be hereafter; The mystery of the seven stars which thou sawest in my right hand, and the seven golden candlesticks. The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches: and the seven candlesticks which thou sawest are the seven churches.”

When John turned around to identify the voice that spoke to him, he first saw seven golden candlesticks.  Then, in the middle of the candlesticks stood a figure that looked like the “Son of man.”  I believe John recognized his Lord since this phrase is one that Jesus used often in reference to Himself.  

Matthew 16:13 “When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am?”

Mark 8:38 “Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.”

Luke 22:48 “But Jesus said unto him, Judas, betrayest thou the Son of man with a kiss?”

John 8:28 “Then said Jesus unto them, When ye have lifted up the Son of man, then shall ye know that I am he….”

He is holding seven stars in His right hand.  His garments are indicative of both royal and priestly authority.  He presents a shining picture of purity and power.  His flaming eyes and burning feet of brass mark Him as the Supreme Judge.  His voice exudes great power and authority.  His words are full of meaning, effectiveness and power; they cut through to the truth. I am reminded of the words of the letter to the Hebrews.

Hebrews 4:12 “For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.”

When John saw His Savior, he fell as dead at His feet.  Jesus put His right hand on John and told him not to be afraid.  I think He is basically affirming John’s faith.  John knew Jesus as a man; but as he is so careful to convey in his gospel, Jesus is also God.  He is affirming this truth to John by again identifying Himself as “the first and the last” and “He that liveth and was dead.”  Jesus is assuring John that He is the risen Savior.  Because of His resurrection, all who place their faith in Him as Lord and Savior will never suffer spiritual death.  Jesus is in control of man’s eternal future; He holds “the keys of hell and death.”

John 11:25–26 “Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die.”

John 6:51 “I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.”

1 Corinthians 15:20–22 “But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the firstfruits of them that slept. For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead. For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.”

Once again John is told to write down what he has seen; however, this time he is also told to include “the things which are,” the letters regarding the current spiritual status of the seven churches (that represent the whole church), and “the things which shall be hereafter,” things that will occur at the end of the church age.

Jesus then explains the imagery that John has seen.  The seven stars in His right hand are the “angels,” messengers/pastors, of the seven churches; and the seven golden candlesticks represent the churches.

(to be continued…)

No comments: