Thursday, October 27, 2011

SET YOUR AFFECTIONS ON THINGS ABOVE


In this post we will be challenged to examine the desires that guide the choices we make in life. 

Colossians 3:1-2 If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God.  Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.

These verses refer back to the truth presented in chapter 2, verses 11-13.  The child of God has died to the flesh and has been given new life in Christ.  This is what is pictured in our baptism—death, burial and resurrection.  Again we meet that little word “if,” because it is only “in Christ” that we are empowered to “seek those things which are above” through His Spirit.  Above is defined as “where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God”—heaven.  This is a reference to spiritual treasure that will be ours for eternity.  This is what Jesus referenced in His Sermon on the Mount.

Matthew 6:19-21 Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

What are those treasures?  I think Paul answers this best in is letter to the Corinthians.

1Corinthians 2:9 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.

Paul is counseling the Colossians to pursue activities that will accrue to eternal treasures with Christ rather than pursuing the temporary pleasures of this world.  It sounds as if it should be so simple, but it’s not.  I find myself more and more often questioning the wisdom of investing chunks of time in the things of this world.  I’m seeking to know how to best balance my pursuits regarding time invested in spiritual endeavors and time invested in the things associated with my life now on planet earth.  Many of these activities are entertwined regarding family and establishing a spiritual heritage and legacy. 

I found this quote from Augustine in the JFB Commentary:  “No one longs for eternal, incorruptible, and immortal life, unless he be wearied of this temporal, corruptible, and mortal life.”

I think this statement gets to the heart of the matter.  We should get to the point that our true heart’s desire is centered on our eternal future.  It’s at the heart of Paul’s statements to the Corinthians and the Philippians.

2Corinthians 5:8 We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.

Philippians 1:21-24 For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain. But if I live in the flesh, this is the fruit of my labour: yet what I shall choose I wot not. For I am in a strait betwixt two, having a desire to depart, and to be with Christ; which is far better: Nevertheless to abide in the flesh is more needful for you.

I can’t help but think of something Jesus said in connection with this truth.

Matthew 10:37 “He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.”

My whole life centers around my family, and these are words that have caused me to examine my heart closely throughout the last decade of my life in particular.  Honestly, it has taken me a long time to grow into a faith that rests in God’s love and understands that only in trusting and loving Him more can I best show my love to others—especially my family.  That doesn’t mean I don’t struggle from time to time with the trials of life, but the struggle is much less intense and more readily given back to the Lord with confidence that He is working what is good and to His glory.

(to be continued…)

No comments: