Monday, July 11, 2011

PROPHETIC WORDS OF HOPE FOR THE GENTILE NATIONS

It is important to note that God’s plans have always been directed toward blessing the nations—not just Israel. This is clear from His first words of promise to Abraham.

Genesis 12:1–3 “Now the LORD had said unto Abram, Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and from thy father’s house, unto a land that I will shew thee: And I will make of thee a great nation, and I will bless thee, and make thy name great; and thou shalt be a blessing: And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed.”

God also revealed this intent through the prophet Jeremiah.

Jeremiah 12:14 Thus saith the LORD against all mine evil neighbours, that touch the inheritance which I have caused my people Israel to inherit; Behold, I will pluck them out of their land, and pluck out the house of Judah from among them. And it shall come to pass, after that I have plucked them out I will return, and have compassion on them, and will bring them again, every man to his heritage, and every man to his land.

The opening phrase in these verses is quite interesting; the LORD is referencing the evil neighbors of Judah/Israel as “His” neighbors. These are words of hope for the people of Israel. Though they have rejected Him, God will keep His covenant with Abraham. Their enemies will not be allowed to permanently possess the land that God has given to His people. The time will come when the LORD will remove them from Israel and bring His people back home. It seems His intention is to return all people to the land of their own heritage.

Though scripture doesn’t define the boundaries of most Gentile nations, it is clear that He has granted certain lands to certain nations; e.g. Edom, Moab and Ammon.

Deuteronomy 2:5 “Meddle not with them; for I will not give you of their land, no, not so much as a foot breadth; because I have given mount Seir unto Esau for a possession.”

Deuteronomy 2:9 “And the LORD said unto me, Distress not the Moabites, neither contend with them in battle: for I will not give thee of their land for a possession; because I have given Ar unto the children of Lot for a possession.”

Deuteronomy 2:19 “And when thou comest nigh over against the children of Ammon, distress them not, nor meddle with them: for I will not give thee of the land of the children of Ammon any possession; because I have given it unto the children of Lot for a possession.”


I tend to think the nations are defined in God’s view according to genealogical descent from the sons of Noah as described in Genesis 10.

Genesis 10:32 “These are the families of the sons of Noah, after their generations, in their nations: and by these were the nations divided in the earth after the flood.”

Scripture also indicates that the nations have been apportioned in accordance with the population of Israel.

Deuteronomy 32:8 “When the most High divided to the nations their inheritance, when he separated the sons of Adam, he set the bounds of the people according to the number of the children of Israel.”

Jeremiah 12:16-17 “And it shall come to pass, if they will diligently learn the ways of my people, to swear by my name, The LORD liveth; as they taught my people to swear by Baal; then shall they be built in the midst of my people. But if they will not obey, I will utterly pluck up and destroy that nation, saith the LORD.”

I think the wording of these last four verses in chapter 12 of Jeremiah are in reference to the time that Messiah comes to set up His kingdom. They are speaking of a time when Israel has been regathered and will be in a position to teach the nations their ways (implied is that these are the ways that were given to them by God). The hope for the Gentile nations is that they will also be allowed to prosper if they will learn to honor the LORD. If, however, a nation chooses to disobey God and rebel against His rule, the LORD will destroy that nation. This truth is also recorded in Isaiah’s prophecy.

Isaiah 2:2–4 “And it shall come to pass in the last days, that the mountain of the LORD’S house shall be established in the top of the mountains, and shall be exalted above the hills; and all nations shall flow unto it. And many people shall go and say, Come ye, and let us go up to the mountain of the LORD, to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will teach us of his ways, and we will walk in his paths: for out of Zion shall go forth the law, and the word of the LORD from Jerusalem. And he shall judge among the nations, and shall rebuke many people: and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruninghooks: nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more.”

Isaiah 60:9–12 “Surely the isles shall wait for me, and the ships of Tarshish first, to bring thy sons from far, their silver and their gold with them, unto the name of the LORD thy God, and to the Holy One of Israel, because he hath glorified thee. And the sons of strangers shall build up thy walls, and their kings shall minister unto thee: for in my wrath I smote thee, but in my favour have I had mercy on thee. Therefore thy gates shall be open continually; they shall not be shut day nor night; that men may bring unto thee the forces of the Gentiles, and that their kings may be brought. For the nation and kingdom that will not serve thee shall perish; yea, those nations shall be utterly wasted.”

No comments: