Wednesday, April 27, 2011

UNIVERSALISM AND THE REALITY OF HEAVEN AND HELL

So how does this subject relate to bible prophecy? Well, if heaven and hell as taught in the Bible are not real, why should we believe anything else taught in the Bible?

This subject has recently been in the headlines due to the release of Rob Bell’s new book. It is baffling to me how “Christians” can question the reality of one while embracing the reality of the other since the existence of both is rooted in the truth of scripture. Mr. Bell is just one of many throughout history who have reasoned that a loving God could not possibly sentence someone to a state of eternal punishment. This belief is associated with a belief known as “universalism.”

I decided to look up the meaning of “universalism” in Webster; it reads, “The doctrine or belief that all men will be saved, or made happy, in the future state.” As I see it, that does not necessarily preclude a belief in hell, just a belief that no human will go there.

I join C. S. Lewis and G. K. Chesterton among others in that one of my favorite fictional authors is George MacDonald, and his writings reveal that he had leanings toward the dictionary definition of universalism. It’s really hard for me to believe that he could have rejected the biblical teaching on heaven and hell. Thankfully, in the books I have read he only posits the possibility without declaring it as doctrine. His books are focused around characters that live with a simple and unwavering faith in God, and I am always challenged to want to emulate the type of testimony they display before those around them. Still, I never recommend his books to anyone without warning them. The same is true for author Michael Phillips.

I will be honest in sharing that it is very perplexing to me when men who seem to have such great spiritual insight in some areas prove to have beliefs that are also heretical. I am thankful that God is the Sovereign Judge. I just know that I am responsible before the Lord for my actions and the message I share. Though I am far from possessing the intellect and influence of these men, I am still accountable for my response to the teaching of God’s word and the testimony I share with others in light of that truth—and so are you.

Romans 14:11–12 “For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God. So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God.”

We will continue this study in the next post.

No comments: