Tuesday, March 22, 2011

CONNECTING THE 5TH SEAL IN REVELATION AND THE RAPTURE OF THE CHURCH

Revelation 6:9-11 “And when he had opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held: And they cried with a loud voice, saying, How long, O Lord, holy and true, dost thou not judge and avenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth? And white robes were given unto every one of them; and it was said unto them, that they should rest yet for a little season, until their fellowservants also and their brethren, that should be killed as they were, should be fulfilled.”

The opening of this seal provides a picture of the martyrs who have died for their faith while waiting for the Lord to return. It never made sense to me that this seal only represented martyrs from the tribulation period, most of which will not die until the second half of that seven-year period. Deaths occurring through the opening of the first four seals did not include martyrs of the faith. Notice that the LORD tells the martyrs that they must wait for Him to exact vengeance after “their fellowservants and also their brethren” are killed. The implication is clear that there is a specific number of people who comprise this group of martyrs. As discussed previously, we know that God’s vengeance, His wrath against His enemies, begins with the opening of the sixth seal.

Currently, it makes the most sense to me that this group of martyrs represents all the martyrs of the church age. After the death of the last martyr of the church age, the LORD will begin to take vengeance against the wicked on their behalf. It is clear throughout scripture that the LORD often warns of judgment that is declared in one generation that comes to fruition against future generations. This does not sit well with our human reasoning. The fact is that the wicked never get by without judgment. The Psalmist experienced the same struggle as he tried to understand what seemed to be unfair to him.

Psalms 73:11–18 “And they say, How doth God know? and is there knowledge in the most High? Behold, these are the ungodly, who prosper in the world; they increase in riches. Verily I have cleansed my heart in vain, and washed my hands in innocency. For all the day long have I been plagued, and chastened every morning.If I say, I will speak thus; behold, I should offend against the generation of thy children. When I thought to know this, it was too painful for me; Until I went into the sanctuary of God; then understood I their end. Surely thou didst set them in slippery places: thou castedst them down into destruction.”

I have to continually remind myself that God’s ways and thoughts are far beyond my understanding. My faith and hope are to rest in God and Who He is without regard to my full understanding.

Isaiah 55:8–9 “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.”


I also believe that the last martyr’s death will pretty much coincide with the conversion of the last Gentile to become part of the church.

Romans 11:25 “For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in.”

The 70th week of Daniel is a designated time of refinement intended to produce a believing remnant of Jews that will reap the blessings of the covenant God made with Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. The spiritual blindness of the Jews will not be healed until the predominantly Gentile church is complete.

Interestingly enough, the very next events covered in Revelation are the sealing of the 144,000 Jewish witnesses and vision of a great multitude of people from every tongue and nation standing before the throne and worshipping God. It is as clear as the nose on my face to me that this great multitude is a picture of the raptured body of believers known as the church. This picture also makes sense to me in that after the rapture of the church, these 144,000 converted Jews will replace them as God’s witnesses of the plan of salvation.

It’s not surprising to me that the Holy Spirit is unveiling more and more and giving clearer understanding to those diligently seeking to understand Bible prophecy today. This too is according to prophecy.

Daniel 12:4 “But thou, O Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book, even to the time of the end: many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall be increased.”

Daniel is told to seal his book. Why? Because it would apply to a people in the distant future. The message of Daniel was not meant to remain sealed; it was only to be sealed until the time of the end.

I usually hear the last part of this verse from Daniel used to reference modern transportation and the huge advances in our knowledge of science and technology, and I don’t think you can say that is entirely wrong since the reality of our day and age reflects the truth of it. I believe, however, that its main reference is to the people living in “end times” who are seeking to understand God’s plan in light of the Revelation given to John. It is significant to note that John was told not to seal his book. This indicates that its contents were relevant beginning with the believers of the early church to whom it was written.

Revelation 22:10 “And he saith unto me, Seal not the sayings of the prophecy of this book: for the time is at hand.”

I believe the prophet Amos provides the key to understanding Daniel.

Amos 8:11-12 “Behold, the days come, saith the Lord GOD, that I will send a famine in the land, not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the LORD: And they shall wander from sea to sea, and from the north even to the east, they shall run to and fro to seek the word of the LORD, and shall not find it.”

This is talking of a time when men will run to and fro and not be able to find understanding in the word of God. Daniel is prophesying of a time when men will be running to and fro and knowledge shall be increased—they will find understanding of the word of God.

No comments: