Tuesday, December 7, 2010

FAITH’S FOUNDATION IS ESTABLISHED IN GENESIS

While my interests are more directed toward a verse-by-verse understanding of scripture, especially in the area of prophecy, my husband is more interested in apologetics. Frankly, both areas go hand-in-hand with one another. Apologetics, being able to defend why you believe what you believe, is one of the primary purposes of studying scripture according to Peter.

1 Peter 3:15 “But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:”

As I thought about the important chapters in scripture, I don’t think you can overemphasize the importance of the opening chapters of scripture. Being able to embrace the truth of earth’s early history as detailed in Genesis is foundational to establishing a strong faith in the whole of God’s word. Doubts concerning the truth of God’s revelation in the opening chapters of Genesis make for a weak foundation for one’s faith as to the rest of scripture. In light of this truth, the next series of blogs will be used to share my understanding of this foundation of our faith. I will state from the outset that I consider the scripture to be authoritative truth from God to man. I believe that God’s revelation to man is meant to be understood by man. Though God’s revelation of truth to man is necessarily limited, there is no truth that contradicts God’s word. All truth will conform to God’s word. We do not need to make adjustments to God’s word to fit in with man’s attempts to discover that truth in any area of endeavor. It’s man’s understanding of the truth that changes the more he discovers—not the truth itself.

The opening words of Genesis establish God as the Creator of heaven and earth.

Genesis 1:1 “In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.”


I believe this is a reference to the beginning of His creation. This action resulted in the existence of more than just the three persons of God, the Trinity. I also think it includes the creation of the angels. We know from Job that the angels were witness to the creation of the earth as we know it.

Job 38:4–7 “Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding. Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it? Whereupon are the foundations thereof fastened? or who laid the corner stone thereof; When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy?”

For many years I refused to contemplate the possibility of a gap between verses one and two of Genesis because I did not believe in evolution and firmly held to the understanding that the days of creation are literal days—evening and morning. After much study and research, I learned that the existence of a gap did not preclude a belief in literal days, nor was evolution the only possible explanation or reason for a gap. Let’s take a look at verse two.

Genesis 1:2 “And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.”

I actually came to understand that the Hebrew for “without form” made reference to “waste, desolation, worthless, confusion, vain.” Scripture is very clear in declaring that God is not the author of confusion.

1 Corinthians 14:33 “For God is not the author of confusion….”

Isaiah 45:18 “For thus saith the LORD that created the heavens; God himself that formed the earth and made it; he hath established it, he created it not in vain, he formed it to be inhabited: I am the LORD; and there is none else.”


The verse in Isaiah above uses the same Hebrew word for “vain” as is used for “without form” in verse two of Genesis. This led me to believe that it was during this gap of time that Satan led his rebellion against God in which one-third of the angels joined him.

Revelation 12:3–4 & 9 “And there appeared another wonder in heaven; and behold a great red dragon, having seven heads and ten horns, and seven crowns upon his heads. And his tail drew the third part of the stars of heaven, and did cast them to the earth…. And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world….”

It just now stood out to me that the rebellious angels were cast down to the earth. Further reading resulted in the following insight from Jewish scholar Arnold Fruchtenbaum.

“In Genesis 1:1-2, we find two examples of what we call “syntagmes,” which are words that occur together to denote one unique concept. One such example here is “heaven and earth,” which is the totality of the ordered universe. Second, tohu vavohu – waste and void – the totality of judgment and chaos.”

“Our conclusion here is that we have a disorderly chaos and an orderly cosmos; of course, these cannot apply to the same thing at the same time. In other words, Genesis 1:1 and 1:2 cannot be contemporary, but must be chronological in sequence. In Genesis 1:1, the earth and the heavens are created in a perfect order. Then, sometime later came this chaos as a result of Satan's fall – the chaos of unformed matter which caused it to become undifferentiated, unorganized, confused and lifeless. The earth, thus, became formless and empty.”
[End quote from Fruchtenbaum]

I also found more food for thought during my verse-by-verse study of Revelation.

Revelation 16:18 “And there were voices, and thunders, and lightnings; and there was a great earthquake, such as was not since men were upon the earth, so mighty an earthquake, and so great.”

It occurred to me that this seemed to indicate there might have been an earthquake that would have compared to it before man was on the earth.

19 comments:

Yuri Richardson said...

Shalom Sharon. I hope all is well with you and you loved ones.

I've read this post and I agree with you until we get to par.4 where you said, "I believe this is a reference to the beginning of His creation that resulted in the existence of more than just the three persons of God, the Trinity."

This statement seems to suggest that YHWH was created. I do not think that that is what you meant; but it can be taken that way.

In strict regards to Genesis 1:1&2 I understand it in this way:

At some point in the past (before YHWH commence with creating living creatures on our world) He made the the watery earth. It was desolate, empty, without life; somewhat like Venus or Mars,(the difference being that water was present on earth.) After He created this desolate place....He left it for a while....until the fullness of time came for the creation of our living world.

And it is between the time that the watery earth was made and commencement of creation week,that Satan was cast out into the earth.

I'm looking forward to your response and the rest of your posts on this topic.

Sharon said...

Yuri,
I am so glad that you understand that I obviously do not mean to indicate that the self-existent eternal God was created.

Obviously, there is room for much speculation regarding the part of creation that is not specifically revealed to us. Your thoughts are plausible, but do not address the apparent contradiction between the verse in Genesis and the verse in Isaiah re "without form."

Different minds--different perspectives--always room for discussion about our ideas.

I always appreciate your input and will continue to pray for you in your study of the Word as I pray for every person that that Lord sees fit to direct to this blog.

Anonymous said...

I don't believe God would create anything imperfect. The angels would not have reason to rejoice over an imperfect creation. Something must have happened between verse one and two that caused the earth to become "void." I agree with you and have held this believe since I can remenber.

Yuri Richardson said...

Shalom Sharon. Thanks for your response. I will back up a bit and speak a little on Isa. 45:18 Ok?

When reading this verse what am I to understand by "...he created it not in vain"? You offer the position that YHWH did not create the world in a state of confusion when you consider Gen.1:2 as a connecting verse.

Is there another way of looking at the same verse?.....Is it possible that the very next portion of the same verse yields the understanding? ".....he formed it to be inhabited:" Is it possible that YHWH could be saying that He did not create the earth without purpose but "formed it to be inhabited"?

There was a point made that YHWH is not the author of confusion which I fully agree with. I would like to add that Scripture teaches that YHWH is the Potter and we the clay. We know that YHWH created Adam from the dust of the ground. Now was there a time (while He was forming Adam,) that Adam did not look quite like Adam when he was completed? In other words (is a rose bud confusion) what about a human fetus before the eyes,limbs, nose and mouth is formed) Is it confusion? Or are all the above perfect at every stage of its development?

Lets look at Venus, Mars, Mercury. None of these planets have life on them. And many would say that they can be described as empty, void. They are currently inhospitable to life; yet they have a purpose....and I submit that they too were made to be inhabited according to Isa.45:18

Sharon said...

Interesting take, Yuri; but I guess we will agree to disagree on this one. I understand your point, but I believe the "confusion" is in direct connection to God's intended purpose (as you stated) for the planet, flower, etc. I also believe God created man and woman as mature individuals and that earth is unique in its intended status to support life. Won't it be fun to get all the answers when we get to heaven(:

Yuri Richardson said...

Shalom Sharon,

I did not mean to give the impression that Adam was not formed as a mature man; that is not my belief.

Are you familiar with a theory of life existing on earth before the creation week? If so do you agree with it?

Sharon said...

Shalom Yuri,
I'm not real sure what you mean. I believe the angels were probably operating on planet earth and is why their fall resulted in the chaos and confusion that impacted the original creation of the planet. As far as previous human existence, no I do not agree with it. There is no reference to it in scripture, and it appears that great significance is placed on the fact that God chose to make Adam in His own image. Then again, I realize that there is much that has not been revealed, so all we can really do is ponder with educated speculation.

Yuri Richardson said...

Shalom Sharon. Sorry about just getting back to you on this subject. I've been snowed under with work.

My question was are you familiar with a theory about life existing on earth before the creation week? I did not say human life. I've read from a web site recently where a position similar to the one you set out here; regarding angels and other life forms here being destroy by the fallen angels. I for one, do not want to get into speculation on what the Scripture is silent on; however I was wandering if you agreed with the position of life on earth before creation? (Like dinosaurs, and other creatures)

Are you saying that the fallen angels wrecked God's original creation?

So basically Gen.1:1 (and onward) is the story of the re-creation of this world; according to your understanding. (Is that a fair assessment of your position?

Shalom In Messiah

Sharon said...

Shalom Yuri. This is a hectic time of year. Like you, I don't like to speculate too much about what is not told us in scripture. However, I do believe from what is told us that it seems that the fall of the angels resulted in the destruction of the original creation. Personally, I believe that all animal and human life are unique to the present creation. I believe that Genesis 1:1 references the original creation and Genesis 1:2a the resultant destruction of that creation, and Genesis 1:2b the the beginning of the creation as we know it. This is just my current understanding-----always subject to change according to the teaching of the Spirit as I continue to study the Word. May you have a blessed Christmas!

Yuri Richardson said...

Shalom Sharon,

Thanks for answering one of my questions. My other question is do you believe that there were other non human life forms on earth before the fallen angels destroyed everything?

Sharon said...

Shalom Yuri,
Sorry I wasn't clear enough. Other than the angelic life, I have no clue what the creation consisted of before they rebelled. Even the phrase "the fallen angels destroyed everything" is not really correct in my thinking. Their rebellion resulted in the ensuing chaos and devastation of that creation, but I certainly don't know how it happened. When man sinned, it set into motion a cycle of decay that would get worse with the passage of time. Was it the same for the angels? Was the same amount of time involved? I don't know. Personally, I think it happened more suddenly or in a quicker amount of "time." But again, one can only speculate since YHWH chose not to reveal those details to us.

Yuri Richardson said...

Shalom Sharon,

My question now is what did "the ensuing chaos and devastation of that creation" consist of? You said that you "have no clue what the creation consisted of before they rebelled". What more could be on earth other than darkness, water, and rock under the water? You may still reply by saying, Yuri I do not know. Then my next question would be; did what happened to earth "...chaos and devastation..." also happen to Mars? And if your answer is I do not know. My next question is, what do we know about the condition of Mars?

Shalom

Sharon said...

Shalom Yuri,
You make me smile--I certainly connect with your desire to "know." Obviously, my answers have to be "I do not know." I am aware of the interesting connections posited concerning the planet Mars and the angels. I've visited quite a few of the out of the ordinary type websites in conjunction with my study of scripture. I wish I had the answers you seek, but I don't. Like you, however, I am looking forward to one day knowing the truth. Maybe that day is coming much sooner than we realize. (:

Yuri Richardson said...

Ok Sharon,

Here is my point. In reference to the fallen angels and this world you said "Their rebellion resulted in the ensuing chaos and devastation of that creation,". Before that you said that the rebellious angels fall "impacted the original creation of the planet". And before that you said "Scripture is very clear in declaring that God is not the author of confusion."
Now when I shared the possibility that the earth being without form and void does not necessarily mean confusion, but can be viewed as a place in which the build materials have been place, ready for future use. I asked if the bud of a rose was confusion, (it may appear to us as a bunch of matted together whatever; but look what happens when it blooms.

My point is if (as you say) the earth was (in order) then when the angels fell it became chaos, then what about the other planets in our solar system? I think if you have a solid position it should take into consideration the other planets also.

We know that there is no life on Mars. We've just recently seen real pictures of its barren and lifeless surface. It is certainly void of any life. It is certainly, (from our point of view),considered an disorderly planet.(Do a goggle search on pictures of Mars) Neither would Jupiter with its ever swirling storms enveloping the Planet be considered to be orderly. To be consistent I think you would need to include all the known planets in the solar system to have been once orderly, and then after the fall of the angels they became disorderly. What do you think?
(by the way I'm enjoying this discussion.)

Sharon said...

Shalom Yuri,
I agree--the discussion is fun as long as both are truth seekers. I understand your argument, but it assumes the creation of all the other planets as well. Maybe all of the planets were created at once--maybe not. We know the sun, moon and stars weren't created until day 4. By the way, my position is not "solid." It is just my current understanding and is fluid according to the teaching of the Spirit. I truly don't believe we will "know" the truth concerning this aspect of creation until it is revealed to us in heaven. Also, a rosebud is beautiful to me before it blooms; maybe it is because I know what it will become. I understand the point you were trying to make, but it seems that the comparison is one of apples and oranges. Personally, I believe God's original creation and the recreation (assuming this to be a correct understanding) were complete. In other words, they started with roses--not rosebuds (to use your analogy).

Hopefully this is an exercise of iron sharpening iron (:

Yuri Richardson said...

Shalom Sharon,

I do not doubt your sincerity in seeking after truth.

You said that my argument "assumes the creation of all the other planets as well". Yes it does because we know from the Scriptures that YHWH made all things; visible and invisible. Weather the other planets made before the earth or after; my point is that 1. God created them. 2. If they were in a orderly state (which it must be to be consistent with your position of "order" than it must follow that they (the planets in our solar system) had to be turned into chaos as well).

Is this what you believe?

Yes, I believe that it is iron sharpening iron, have no reason to think otherwise. Really! I love the study of astronomy, and thinking about the theme of YHWH'S creation;(especially on Shabbat) so yes I'm having fun. And at the same time new ways of looking at thinks and testing them against Scripture. Your position is a challenge for me. :) and I think you are smart as well.

Shalom In Messiah,

Yuri

Sharon said...

Shalom Yuri,
Sorry for the delay, but life has been quite busy. I thought I had answered your question in the last comment, but after reading through your last comment several times, I think I understand your question now. Once man sinned, I believe the whole of creation existing at that time was negatively impacted. In science this is called the 2d law of thermodynamics, or entropy. I've always heard it described as the universe winding down like a great clock.

I too, love the study of astronomy, but have very little time to devote to it. I wish I lived somewhere like you that doesn't have so much light pollution. I got to visit a very small island in the Bahamas this past summer, and saw the Milky Way for the first time in my life--and more stars than I had ever seen at one time. It was truly a worshipful experience as I thought of the Creator behind them and how I was seeing the same stars as Abraham!

I appreciate the way you make me have to think.

Yuri Richardson said...

Shalom Sharon,

Don't worry about the delay; I'm very busy as well so ....not a problem.

You said "Once man sinned, I believe the whole of creation existing at that time was negatively impacted. In science this is called the 2d law of thermodynamics, or entropy. I've always heard it described as the universe winding down like a great clock."

Ok. I believe that our world was affected (spiritually and physically). Death came into the world through Adam; the Scripture teaches. We know that the ground was cursed as well. We now have thistles and thorns. Death and decay are know present; not only in Man but in all creation (as it pertains to this world). I would like for you to show me how do we expand entropy to the universe? In other words do we find that principle in the Scriptures?

Shalom In Messiah,

Yuri

Sharon said...

Shalom Yuri,
The main verse that comes to my mind is: Romans 8:22 “For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now.” It just makes sense to me that until man sinned, he was destined to live forever in innocence. That would have necessitated the creation to be functioning without deterioration as well. Once the consequences of sin impacted the creation, that verse indicates to me that it affected the whole of creation. Just as redeemed man is going to get a new body, the heavens and earth are going to be given a new start as well. 2 Peter 3:13 “Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.” At least that is my current understanding. I don't think a new heavens would be needed if entropy were not a factor.

Blessings for the New Year!