Tuesday, August 24, 2010

God is Sovereign

Continuing from the last post regarding the declaration of God’s choice of Jacob over Esau…

Romans 9:14-15 “What shall we say then? Is there unrighteousness with God? God forbid. For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.”

Paul is trying to anticipate the questions of those who would be receive this letter. He assures them that God’s choice of Jacob was not an act of unrighteousness. God is Sovereign. He has the authority to make choices as it pleases Him. These choices don’t involve right or wrong; EVERY choice God makes is right. God was very clear with His people regarding His sovereignty from the very beginning, and Paul quotes from the Torah to establish that truth.

Exodus 33:19 “And he said, I will make all my goodness pass before thee, and I will proclaim the name of the LORD before thee; and will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will shew mercy on whom I will shew mercy.”

Romans 9:16 “So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.”

I liked the Complete Jewish Bible translation of this verse: “Thus it doesn’t depend on human desires or efforts, but on God, who has mercy.”

The obvious question, “Who are the people to whom God shows mercy?”

Psalm 25:10 “All the paths of the LORD are mercy and truth unto such as keep his covenant and his testimonies.”

Psalm 86:5 “For thou, Lord, art good, and ready to forgive; and plenteous in mercy unto all them that call upon thee.


The Psalmist declares that those who obey the word of God and those who come to God seeking forgiveness always receive His mercy. As he continues to develop his thoughts, Paul will eventually emphasize that last point. Any unbeliever who comes to God in faith will receive His mercy.

Romans 11:32 “For God hath concluded them all in unbelief, that he might have mercy upon all.”

Romans 9:17 “For the scripture saith unto Pharaoh, Even for this same purpose have I raised thee up, that I might shew my power in thee, and that my name might be declared throughout all the earth. “

“the scripture saith” – The scripture is the word of God as inspired to the writers through the Holy Spirit.

2Timothy 3:16 “All scripture is given by inspiration of God…” (inspiration = divinely breathed in)

The scripture being referenced is found in Exodus.

Exodus 9:13-16 “And the LORD said unto Moses, Rise up early in the morning, and stand before Pharaoh, and say unto him, Thus saith the LORD God of the Hebrews, Let my people go, that they may serve me. For I will at this time send all my plagues upon thine heart, and upon thy servants, and upon thy people; that thou mayest know that there is none like me in all the earth. For now I will stretch out my hand, that I may smite thee and thy people with pestilence; and thou shalt be cut off from the earth. And in very deed for this cause have I raised thee up, for to shew in thee my power; and that my name may be declared throughout all the earth.”

God knew Pharaoh’s heart before He ever created him. Knowing his heart, God raised him up specifically to a position of power in order to accomplish His purposes in magnifying His name as He performed mighty miracles that finally caused Pharaoh to let the Israelites leave Egypt. Even without modern technology, the news spread quickly of God’s miracles on behalf of Israel. When Rahab hid the spies in Jericho, she gave evidence to this truth.

Joshua 2:9–11 “And she said unto the men, I know that the LORD hath given you the land, and that your terror is fallen upon us, and that all the inhabitants of the land faint because of you. For we have heard how the LORD dried up the water of the Red sea for you, when ye came out of Egypt; and what ye did unto the two kings of the Amorites, that were on the other side Jordan, Sihon and Og, whom ye utterly destroyed. And as soon as we had heard these things, our hearts did melt, neither did there remain any more courage in any man, because of you: for the LORD your God, he is God in heaven above, and in earth beneath.”

Romans 9:18 “Therefore hath he mercy on whom he will have mercy, and whom he will he hardeneth.”

It is God’s sovereign choice to be longsuffering in mercy and allow the door of opportunity to remain open for one to respond to Him in faith. It is God’s sovereign choice as to when to close the door of opportunity for any individual to respond to Him in faith and repentance. It is God’s sovereign choice to “harden” a person’s heart so that he/she will stubbornly reject any opportunity to turn to Him in faith. The opportunity for faith and repentance is available for all for a period of time. This has to be true for God’s word to be true.

Ezekiel 33:11 “Say unto them, As I live, saith the Lord GOD, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live:”

2Peter 3:9 “The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.”

Some have their hearts “hardened” by God according to His divine plan, and others harden their own hearts.

Psalm 95:8 “Harden not your heart, as in the provocation, and as in the day of temptation in the wilderness:”

Again, I firmly believe that election is based on God’s foreknowledge as stated in chapter 8:29 (“For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son….”), and I strongly believe that His choice to “harden” one’s heart is based on that same knowledge. (But I’m just a simple believer and not a great theologian.)

No comments: