Friday, November 6, 2009

Solomon’s Concluding Words of Wisdom

Ecclesiastes 12:9-10 And moreover, because the preacher was wise, he still taught the people knowledge; yea, he gave good heed, and sought out, and set in order many proverbs. The preacher sought to find out acceptable words: and that which was written was upright, even words of truth.

It was established in the beginning of our study that God had blessed Solomon with wisdom beyond that of any other man. Though Solomon strayed from applying that wisdom in his own life, he determined to impart his wisdom through many proverbs that would provide wise guidance to his people. He chose his words carefully in expressing the truth that God had revealed to him.

Ecclesiastes 12:11-12 The words of the wise are as goads, and as nails fastened by the masters of assemblies, which are given from one shepherd. And further, by these, my son, be admonished: of making many books there is no end; and much study is a weariness of the flesh.

I think it is important to note again that the “words of the wise” do come from one Shepherd, the Lord God.

Psalms 111:10 “The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: a good understanding have all they that do his commandments: his praise endureth for ever.”

Proverbs 2:6-7 “For the LORD giveth wisdom: out of his mouth cometh knowledge and understanding. He layeth up sound wisdom for the righteous: he is a buckler to them that walk uprightly.”

Isaiah 11:2 “And the spirit of the LORD shall rest upon him, the spirit of wisdom and understanding,”

Daniel 2:20 “Daniel answered and said, Blessed be the name of God for ever and ever: for wisdom and might are his:”

Colossians 2:2-3 “… to the acknowledgement of the mystery of God, and of the Father, and of Christ; In whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.”


True wisdom from God as recorded in the scripture motivates one to act according to its truth. True wisdom provides strength like a nail hammered firmly in place. In contrast, the study of the wisdom of men as recorded in a never-ending supply of books results in weariness of the flesh.

Ecclesiastes 12:13-14 ¶ Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man. For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.

Solomon’s conclusion after all his observations: Man should fear God and keep His commandments. With all his wisdom, Solomon rests on the words of God declared to His people by Moses.

Deuteronomy 10:12-13 “And now, Israel, what doth the LORD thy God require of thee, but to fear the LORD thy God, to walk in all his ways, and to love him, and to serve the LORD thy God with all thy heart and with all thy soul, To keep the commandments of the LORD, and his statutes, which I command thee this day for thy good?”

The Hebrew for the word “fear” references both being afraid and showing reverence. When we are showing reverence, we have no reason to be afraid of God. When we are afraid of God, it’s likely a result of not reverencing Him. I connect reverence to a healthy fear. A healthy fear of God shows recognition of the awesome authority and power of God. There is no greater authority or power. I love the sections of Isaiah in which God testifies about Himself.

Isaiah 43:11-13 “I, even I, am the LORD; and beside me there is no saviour. I have declared, and have saved, and I have shewed, when there was no strange god among you: therefore ye are my witnesses, saith the LORD, that I am God. Yea, before the day was I am he; and there is none that can deliver out of my hand: I will work, and who shall let it?”

Isaiah 45:5 “I am the LORD, and there is none else, there is no God beside me:”

Isaiah 45:21-22 “Tell ye, and bring them near; yea, let them take counsel together: who hath declared this from ancient time? who hath told it from that time? have not I the LORD? and there is no God else beside me; a just God and a Saviour; there is none beside me. Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else.”


One who responds to that truth with faith, submission and obedience no longer has to be afraid of God; he can count on the blessings associated with the promises of God as recorded in His word.

Psalms 34:9 “O fear the LORD, ye his saints: for there is no want to them that fear him.”

Proverbs 14:26 “In the fear of the LORD is strong confidence: and his children shall have a place of refuge.”

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have always enjoyed the vivid and imaginative word pictures this poetry puts into my mind. You have broadened my understanding of some of these that I had not recognized before. Thank you for taking your time to make my study of scripture in a way to give me a new perspective. I tend to be so familiar with the Bible that I sometimes get careless studying it.

Sharon said...

It's easy for any of us to get a bit careless in our study. God has really used the website and blog to help me stay focused on trying to understand as much as I can in order to encourage others in the process. I believe He has put you into my life as an encouragement to keep on keeping on. Thanks!