Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Zephaniah Predicts the Reversal of the Judgment at Babel

I am trying to keep to the sections of prophecy that I think have future application. As the prophet continues his message concerning Judah’s coming judgment, we get to a verse in chapter 3 that again seems to jump ahead to end times.

Zephaniah 3:8 Therefore wait ye upon me, saith the LORD, until the day that I rise up to the prey: for my determination is to gather the nations, that I may assemble the kingdoms, to pour upon them mine indignation, even all my fierce anger: for all the earth shall be devoured with the fire of my jealousy.

The LORD is telling His people that they need to trust Him to respond to these enemies in His own time according to His own purpose. That’s one of the hardest things to do for the man of faith. We are so bound by an earthly mindset that we have a hard time patiently waiting for God to act. I’m always reminded of this Psalm when I consider the Lord’s longsuffering toward the wicked.

Psalm 73:11-19 And they say, How doth God know? and is there knowledge in the most High? Behold, these are the ungodly, who prosper in the world; they increase in riches. Verily I have cleansed my heart in vain, and washed my hands in innocency. For all the day long have I been plagued, and chastened every morning. If I say, I will speak thus; behold, I should offend against the generation of thy children. When I thought to know this, it was too painful for me; Until I went into the sanctuary of God; then understood I their end. Surely thou didst set them in slippery places: thou castedst them down into destruction. How are they brought into desolation, as in a moment! they are utterly consumed with terrors.

I think the application jumps to end times and Armageddon because of the wording—“gather the nations” and “assemble the kingdoms.” His purpose—“to pour upon them mine indignation, even all my fierce anger.” This is exactly the scenario at the final battle of Armageddon.

Revelation 16:12-16 And the sixth angel poured out his vial upon the great river Euphrates; and the water thereof was dried up, that the way of the kings of the east might be prepared. And I saw three unclean spirits like frogs come out of the mouth of the dragon, and out of the mouth of the beast, and out of the mouth of the false prophet. For they are the spirits of devils, working miracles, which go forth unto the kings of the earth and of the whole world, to gather them to the battle of that great day of God Almighty. Behold, I come as a thief. Blessed is he that watcheth, and keepeth his garments, lest he walk naked, and they see his shame. And he gathered them together into a place called in the Hebrew tongue Armageddon.

Comment on verse 16 from journal on Revelation: “This is a very interesting “he” used here. You immediately think of the antichrist as the one who is gathering his forces together to do battle. The last person speaking to whom the he would apply is Jesus. Jesus is the one in control and has been all along—He will dictate the time and place of this gathering. Where did He choose? Armageddon—the hill country of Megiddo.

“the earth shall be devoured with the fire of my jealousy”- This is a statement of the reason for God’s judgment. As He declared from the beginning, He is a jealous God.

Exodus 20:3-5 Thou shalt have no other gods before me. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God….

Deuteronomy 4:24 For the LORD thy God is a consuming fire, even a jealous God.

Nahum 1:2 God is jealous, and the LORD revengeth; the LORD revengeth, and is furious; the LORD will take vengeance on his adversaries, and he reserveth wrath for his enemies.


The next verse seems to indicate that we will all speak one language during the kingdom age.

Zephaniah 3:9 For then will I turn to the people a pure language, that they may all call upon the name of the LORD, to serve him with one consent.

After the flood, the LORD confounded the languages of the people in order to keep them from accomplishing their evil purposes.

Genesis 11:6-7 And the LORD said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do. Go to, let us go down, and there confound their language, that they may not understand one another’s speech.

When He establishes His Kingdom, the Lord will once again restore the nations to a “pure language,” a common language. This will enable everyone to clearly understand each other. The purpose this time will be to facilitate worship of and service to the LORD and to promote unity in fellowship and obedience.

No comments: