Tuesday, November 25, 2008

The Letter to Philadelphia – Revelation 3

Revelation 3:7 And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write; These things saith he that is holy, he that is true, he that hath the key of David, he that openeth, and no man shutteth; and shutteth, and no man openeth;

Jesus identifies Himself to the church at Philadelphia as “He that is holy, He that is true, He that hath the key of David, He that openeth, and no man shutteth; and shutteth, and no man openeth. (This is a quote from Isaiah 22:22--And the key of the house of David will I lay upon his shoulder; so he shall open, and none shall shut; and he shall shut, and none shall open.) Again, this is a statement of His righteousness, truth, power and authority.

Revelation 3:8 I know thy works: behold, I have set before thee an open door, and no man can shut it: for thou hast a little strength, and hast kept my word, and hast not denied my name.

Again, Jesus knows their works/deeds/actions/behavior. The next statement seems to be in direct connection to His knowledge of their works. He has set before them an open door; it is a door that no man can shut. Jesus also identified Himself as the door (John 10:9 I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.) I think He is assuring this church that has very little strength left, but has been faithful to keep His word and has never denied His name, that He will provide their salvation; He will give them the nourishment they need; no man has the power to deprive them of the protection and provision of the Savior.

2Corinthians 12:9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

Those who are weak in faith due to the prevalence of evil around them need assurance of the truth of God’s word. Sometimes it seems like Satan is winning, but God is assuring His people that they can count on Him and He will prevail.

Rev. 3:9 Behold, I will make them of the synagogue of Satan, which say they are Jews, and are not, but do lie; behold, I will make them to come and worship before thy feet, and to know that I have loved thee.

Evidently, these believers had also been persecuted by those who were pretending to be followers of God, Jews, but were really followers of Satan. Jesus promises that these unbelievers will be made to come and worship “before thy feet.” I think this is making reference to the fact that the believer will be at the feet of Jesus for eternity, and that “at the name of Jesus every knee shall bow” (Romans 14:11) and “unto Me every knee shall bow, every tongue shall swear” (Isaiah 45:23). The believer will get to witness the humbling of those that have persecuted them. They will be presented as loved by the Father before these unbelievers.

Revelation 3:10 Because thou hast kept the word of my patience, I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world, to try them that dwell upon the earth.

Because the believers in Philadelphia have held fast to and guarded the truth of the words of Jesus with steadfastness and cheerful endurance, Jesus will keep them from (“ek”—out of) the hour of temptation (putting to proof) which shall (future tense from John’s perspective) come upon ALL the world, to try (put to the test) them that dwell on earth. Obviously, this time of testing will be appointed for a specific time, of specific duration, to a specific generation.

Many refuse to accept that this affirms the teaching of the rapture on the grounds that there is no reason this generation of believers should escape the coming hard times any more than any other generation. Henry Morris made a good point. “The fact is, however, that Christians in every other generation have escaped the great tribulation, so there is no reason why the last should be singled out for participation in it.”

Revelation 3:11 Behold, I come quickly: hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown.

When Jesus returns, it will be quickly (suddenly). He is encouraging them to hold on to their faith and not let any man deprive them of their reward/crown. This is not a reference to losing your salvation—just your reward. (cf 2:10—“ be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life.”)

Revelation 3:12 Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name.

Those who overcome will be “a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out.” I think this is indicative of the position of security the believer has for eternity in the presence of God. The word pillar in Galatians 2:9 is used to represent leaders, but we can’t all be leaders; and everyone in heaven will be an overcomer.

Galatians 2:9 And when James, Cephas, and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that was given unto me, they gave to me and Barnabas the right hands of fellowship; that we should go unto the heathen, and they unto the circumcision.

1John 5:4 For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.

The overcomer will also be publicly identified as belonging to God by being stamped/marked with “the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem.” He will also be proudly identified by being stamped with the new name of Jesus.

Revelation 3:13 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.

Again, the believers are encouraged to listen to and heed the message to the churches.

This church, along with Smyrna, was given no words of rebuke. Again, if they had been deserving, they would have been rebuked.

No comments: